Looking for a good piston

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I have been looking at pistons and want to hear what you guys are running. Basically the 2 "affordable" piston sets are the "Hyper-tecs" Speed Pro flat tops w/2 valve reliefs or the KB flat tops w/1 valve relief. My build plan includes 71 CC heads, shooting for 450hp. I want to run this thing on premium pump gas so I don't want to go with domed. Hopefully cam selection will help with that. Just want some good Street/performance pistons. I am currently running the KB's and they seem to be doing fine with OC heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look for a flat top, FORGED speed pro, given your goal of 450 HP. It is cheap insurance. Unfortunately, Mahle doesn't make a Power Pack piston for a stock rod 351C, according to their on-line catalog. If they did, that would be my choice.

I'm not a big supporter of Probe but, the article may be of some help.

http://www.probeindustries.com/Articles.asp?ID=144

Chuck

I have the KB Hypereutectics in mine - they were pretty much the only affordable pistons I could find in the .060" size. I went with 9.5:1 compression, on the advice of my machinist with regards to the use of pump gas. Of course, you probably won't need .060" size - but here's something to read about:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-kb108-060/overview/make/ford

enginereborn3.jpg

Hope that helps!

The Probe article Chuck posted is good information... as well, his advice in going with forged for 450-ish hp is sound. Mine's "only" estimated to 400 (406, actually) according to CompCams CamQuest utility.

I have the KB Hypereutectics in mine - they were pretty much the only affordable pistons I could find in the .060" size. I went with 9.5:1 compression, on the advice of my machinist with regards to the use of pump gas. Of course, you probably won't need .060" size - but here's something to read about:
+1 - That's what we used as well....

Back