Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Boots

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
So, noticed while judging in Indy both of my lower ball joint boots have deteriorated and torn. These are the Scott Drake lower control arms and the boots are lousy. I am trying to replace the boots and believe the only way to do so is remove the rivets holding the retainer and joint and then install new boot and new rivets for the joint. Has anyone replaced these rivets before. You can purchase them, but never just replaced a boot, always did entire lower arm. Would appreciate guidance from anyone who has done rivets before. Special tool needed? Shop press needed?

Well, it looks like replacing the lower control arm ball joint rivets is a rare practice. I have spoken with several high end restorers over the past couple of days and it does sound like some specialized tools and processes are necessary. Again, you are literally talking about the wheel coming off if done wrong. Given my timeline for the next show in September and my travel between now and then I needed to get this issue resolved. Soooooo, the wallet was emptied more than I planned for, but I have located some OE fully restored concourse lower control arms from one of my contacts. This will allow for a quick swap and then back to other tasks. I will share a couple of new facts I have learned in my research.

Back