SEEKING HELP/ADVICE ON IDLER ARM

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the bushings were the same length on the drag link end. I too saw that when installing. The new arm’s bushing could have been pressed in another 1/8 inch to where the bushing collar was closer to the idler arm. And I considered doing that but didn’t because I didn’t have a press and the metal bushing housing was fully through the arm. The other reason was because like your old idler arm, the chassis rail end bushing was much longer than the arms sleeve it’s pressed into. I liked the fact that the new WCCC part had the beefier housing on the chassis rail end and an included grease fitting. Good luck Greg with your project and don’t you love this forum! Great info from super knowledgeable folks like Stanglover. I used his drawing to measure & compare my old and new parts and it was a perfect fit.

Bob
Bob, Thanks for the kudos, but "super knowledgeable" is pushing it a bit I think!! I do what I can to help, sometimes good, sometimes not so much.
Anyway I'm glad you got good use out of my drawing. I did it to illustrate that it's not the shape that matters so much, but the physical dimensions X & Y are all that really matters.

Bob, Thanks for the kudos, but "super knowledgeable" is pushing it a bit I think!! I do what I can to help, sometimes good, sometimes not so much.
Anyway I'm glad you got good use out of my drawing. I did it to illustrate that it's not the shape that matters so much, but the physical dimensions X & Y are all that really matters.
Stanglover, I get your preference to be modest. One thing I have learned long ago, nobody knows it all. And, I am always learning ever more - especially from folks who may be far less experienced than I am on a particular subject. I am also of the mindset that my role in groups and forums such as this one is one of being an appreciative member of others who have a similar love of these particular pony cars. And, when I feel I have something to offer that may be of help, I do so happily. If there is one downside to me tossing my thoughts into the mix, it is that I tend to drag things out a bit in an effort to be as clear as possible, and not leave any stone unturned lest I provide "enough info to be dangerous." Fortunately, it seems our fellow enthusiasts understand that and are long suffering in reading what I write.

For the record, although I am not yet in need of help with idler arm issues, your view has been tucked away in case I ever do need to look over alternatives and considerations for myself. Many thanks for your participation. So, yeah, Kudos!

Stanglover, I get your preference to be modest. One thing I have learned long ago, nobody knows it all. And, I am always learning ever more - especially from folks who may be far less experienced than I am on a particular subject. I am also of the mindset that my role in groups and forums such as this one is one of being an appreciative member of others who have a similar love of these particular pony cars. And, when I feel I have something to offer that may be of help, I do so happily. If there is one downside to me tossing my thoughts into the mix, it is that I tend to drag things out a bit in an effort to be as clear as possible, and not leave any stone unturned lest I provide "enough info to be dangerous." Fortunately, it seems our fellow enthusiasts understand that and are long suffering in reading what I write.

For the record, although I am not yet in need of help with idler arm issues, your view has been tucked away in case I ever do need to look over alternatives and considerations for myself. Many thanks for your participation. So, yeah, Kudos!
Well thank you mrgmhale. I do appreciate your comments.
My signature states "I learn something new every day" and I do, or at least, try to and much of that comes from our awesome membership and people like yourself.

Hi again to all Forum members,

Just wanted to wrap this idler arm problem up with my latest feedback. Before i start, a special thanks to all the Forum guys who reached out to help me find a solution to me finding a suitable product to replace my worn out '73 idler arm. For the Forum's benefit, there were three arms that were recommended to me as being a good replacement. PST/ Rare Parts/ WCCC. The prospect of me finding recommended replacement bushes for my existing idler arm was brought up by some members, but was left open for more discussion. Summit Racing sell a good variety of quality brand bushes at decent prices i believe.

Today, i am pleased to report that i followed up with my new mechanic guy. He was to measure up my inner and outer idler arm bushes with the prospect of finding suitable replacements here in Australia. Much to my surprise, he told me today that he was successful in finding a replacement idler arm assembly that fitted up and replaced perfectly my existing idler arm. What he found was that the Australian Ford Falcon idler arm assembly for Falcon XA XB XC XD XE XF XG 1972 - 1998; Fairlane ZF ZG ZH ZJ ZK ZL 1972 - 1998; Power and Manual Steering .. was a perfect copy part to replace my existing idler arm assembly. The price ranged from around $38.00 Au to $95.00 Au for the part. There was one small detail though that is worth mentioning. The length of the shaft of the bushing that connects to the drag link, had to be shortened a little to match my worn idler arm. A little bit of custom work there, and all good.

I guess that's good news for the Aussie guys who own 1,2,3 Mustangs. Not so good news for overseas owners. Here's why. Australian Ford Falcon production went from 1960 to 2016. I believe Ford Falcon America production went from 1960 to 1970. Given that American Falcon stopped production in 1970, means that American Falcon idler arms up to 1970 will not be compatible, as it's the Aussie Falcon arms only past 1972 that will be ok for the 1,2,3 Mustangs. These Aussie Falcon idler arms are in plentiful supply out here in Australia. One other thing that's finally worth mentioning is that the Scott Drake idler arm that doesn't fit properly for the 1,2,3 Mustangs, looks almost identical to the 1970 American Falcon idler arm assembly. Hmmmmmmmm............Beam me up Scotty Drake! See all my links below. However, it's good to know that for the American and Canadian, plus the rest of the World 1,2,3 Mustang guys, you can get your hands on the above mentioned three idler arm assemblies and bushings to get you out of jail, based on previous Forum recommendations.

So, glad i wrapped this problem up for myself, and with the help of dealing with a good old school run business and by an old school mechanic, that really knows what they are doing. You can't beat, or there is no substitute for experience in life. That's a fact. It's sad to see how the World has changed in the last 50 years or so, in regards to the business World giving once long hard earned experienced senior jobs and positions to young kids or staff with little to no background experience or proper training, that wouldn't know Jack. To put it another way, the World has been dumbed down as ignorance and lack of experience have been rewarded and have replaced real knowledge and years of hard earned experience and knowledge. There's a price to pay for that.
Have you ever noticed that we now live in a here today/throw away World. Enough said!

Links ..................................................

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rares...steering-and-suspension/idler-and-pitman-arms
https://www.ebay.com/b/Pitman-Idler-Arms-for-Ford-Falcon/33587/bn_1383746
https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy/ford-steering-idler-arm-xa-xb-xc-xd-xe-xf-xg-falco/SX1119

Lastly, it's interesting i've noticed that a lot of Aussie Ford falcon parts are interchangeable with American Ford Mustang cars. Lord Mr. Ford!

Thanks again guys,

Greg. (y)

Last edited:
Greg, that's great news, congrats on finding a solution.
Having worked in the auto industry, prototyping air induction systems, I have learned that there are many components that are common over several different models and years. The idler arm would likely be one of them.

Back