Lower control arm ball joint holes question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
I chiseled, Dremeled and finally drilled out the ball joint that needed replacing on my lower control arm. I went off a little bit on the drill bit and elongated two of the holes (circled in red below).

Not sure what the safest and best way to proceed is. I feel I have three options.

1. Can I just use the holes as is? I'm thinking no but wanted to check.
2. Should I enlarge these two holes on the lower control arm and new ball joint and use slightly larger bolts?
3. Should I toss out the lower control arm and just buy a new one?

What do you guys suggest? Thanks for everyone's help.

20241016_132827.jpg

Last edited:
I chiseled, Dremeled and finally drilled out the ball joint that needed replacing on my lower control arm. I went off a little bit on the drill bit and elongated two of the holes (circled in red below).

Not sure what the safest and best way to proceed is. I feel I have three options.

2. Should I enlarge these two holes on the lower control arm and new ball joint and use slightly larger bolts?

Thanks for everyone's help.
I can barely see any elongation of the hole. I can't guarantee the results but I would reuse it. Make sure the thickness of that area is good and not rusted through. File a little around the hole to remove any sharp edges.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks for everyone's help.

View attachment 94256
You could weld the hole up and redrill it.

Back