Lubricating cylinders?!?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosdelacruz

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang MACH 1
I have a question for all you guys that have engine building experience before. I took my motor out and put it on a stand to build up. I havent touched it in a while, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about my rings drying up. There r currently no heads on the block as well as no oil. Should I spray some wd40 or drop in some ATF to ensure I'm not drying up my rings? Help is appreciated thanks.

Well...If it was me..I would put some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder.....Combats internal motor rust and corrosion....It stick better than motor oil and protects like wd40...I know alot of mechanics who pour this down any motor cylinders they plan to have sitting for a while...And i seen it do some good work that way.

If I pour it on in the cylinders should I expect smoke when I fire it up?

Get some straight 30wt oil

Use a paint brush and coat everything

Marvel will a tiny bit..not as bad as regular oil...Some people add marvel strait into gas as a regular additive..."i wouldnt" But i do pour it down my dirt bikes and such during the winter.....But regular oil works too....But i dont trust it as much as marvel...Had one of my dirt bikes lock up and had to use marvel and wd to break it loose...Ruined my ring:(

You said there are no heads on the block ?

Is it already re-built ?

If oil coated yes it will smoke when starting

You would / should clean it up before assembly if the heads are off

But you would still want a coat of oil there for start up

Latest posts

Back