LVLP Guns

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
Anyone ever use a LVLP (low volume low pressure) spray gun before for primers and/or any automotive finishes? I'm looking for an option to spray primer on spot repairs with my 3hp 6cfm (at 40 psi) compressor. The HVLP (high volume low pressure) guns just require too much CLM (9-13 CFM normal) for my little compressor.

I'm not looking to spray my entire car, just like I said, spot repairs.

Here is the gun i'm looking at:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202977425/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=lvlp&storeId=10051#.UTX-DTBgSTc

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a good write up on this topic here - http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/LVLP.htm

Based on what I'm reading today, LVLP guns are the way to go for individuals that have smaller compressors. They spray slower so it will take longer to get good coverage but your compressor will not burn up trying to keep up - like with a HVLP gun.

Hi 71,

A lot of good truth and information is on those two websites thus provided so far. Can i make an important point in passing?

Most compressors quote a CFM output delivery spec. However, the most important spec is the FAD spec. (Free Air Delivery). FAD is when you fill your compressor up to full of air, and then release air out of the compressor when on run cycle,through the air hose unrestricted. On that basis,it's the compressor's ability to keep up a constant pressure and volume air flow measured in CFM that ranks the true output of your machine. What ever CFM you get on that basis is your true CFM output of your machine. FAD outputs are lower than CFM quoted outputs.

So the golden rule is that ANY spray gun will have it's own air draw spec or air consumption spec if you like. The secret is always try to match your spray gun's airdraw with the FAD output spec of your compressor. Example;

Lets say your FAD spec is 5cfm on your compressor. Any gun with an air draw up to 5cfm should not over task the compressor and cause burnout issues from too long a run cycle.So always try to match the gun to the FAD spec of the comp. In your case,using LVLP guns and doing small spray jobs would be your safest best bet for sure.A respray job could be asking too much of your comp. Check your comp specs if you can.

Hope that all helps.

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 71,

A lot of good truth and information is on those two websites thus provided so far. Can i make an important point in passing?

Most compressors quote a CFM output delivery spec. However, the most important spec is the FAD spec. (Free Air Delivery). FAD is when you fill your compressor up to full of air, and then release air out of the compressor when on run cycle,through the air hose unrestricted. On that basis,it's the compressor's ability to keep up a constant pressure and volume air flow measured in CFM that ranks the true output of your machine. What ever CFM you get on that basis is your true CFM output of your machine. FAD outputs are lower than CFM quoted outputs.

So the golden rule is that ANY spray gun will have it's own air draw spec or air consumption spec if you like. The secret is always try to match your spray gun's airdraw with the FAD output spec of your compressor. Example;

Lets say your FAD spec is 5cfm on your compressor. Any gun with an air draw up to 5cfm should not over task the compressor and cause burnout issues from too long a run cycle.So always try to match the gun to the FAD spec of the comp. In your case,using LVLP guns and doing small spray jobs would be your safest best bet for sure.A respray job could be asking too much of your comp. Check your comp specs if you can.

Hope that all helps.

Greg:)
Good info. Thanks! I've done a bit more research and found the homedepot el cheapo will probably not get the job done. Just based on the reviews, it sounds like a waste of money. I'm looking for a used Devilbiss or equivalent gun that will be a good combination for my little Husky compressor. Once I get the correct gun, i'll be sure to post some pictures of the job for anyone interested.

I have a Astro Pneumatic Star Evo T S4000 LVLP with a 1.4 tip. I think I spent about $100 on it four years ago, been a descent gun. It is no Sata or Iwata, but for the money it works pretty good for me.

Back