Mangled car names...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Aus a lot of people think our cars are Chargers of the Aussie kind

34jazk8.jpg
[/img]

In Aus a lot of people think our cars are Chargers of the Aussie kind

34jazk8.jpg
[/img]
And how good was the Aussie Charger, a 265ci inline six that could embarrass a lot of V8 cars and blow them into the weeds. The E49 0-100 MPH in 14.2 secs and cover the quarter in 14.4, the only thing the "mighty" Phase 3 had over that car was a top speed of around 10 MPH. I read in interesting article a while back (ok, a long time ago) about when Chrysler Aus took the 2 VG Pacers with the R/T development engines in them to the Webber factory in Italy, and according to Chris Ellis (CoA's competition manager at the time) spoke of how these "cars" from Australia would blow away Ferarri's, to the astonishment of Enzo himself. Apparently he was so pissed that these "lowly built cars" could embarrass his Ferarri's, that he apparently went to the Webber factory and said "that if they were going to supply the induction set up for these vehicles, then he would find someone else to supply the induction for his cars." They apparently told Enzo not worry about these cars as they were of no threat to his cars, as these engines were destined for Australia in a limited production run. Apparently this made Enzo feel so much better that these "lowly cars from Australia" were to be no threat to his cars. Makes you think if the "Supercar scare" in 1972 didn't happened what would have been, as Chrysler was working on a 300+ Ci six cylinder with 48mm Webbers and even grumpier camshaft.

True, also if the V8 R/Ts came online it would have been a whole different world of fast cars here. If only hey?
Too true mate, too true. The big 3 here in Australia had some huge future plans, but the the do gooder whingers and no idea politicians put a big stop too all of that. The manufacturers got scared about loosing future government fleet sales and got rid of all these "future plans" rather quickly. I knew a guy years ago that was a customer of mine, who started his time at Tonsley Park when then Pacer program was just starting, and the sad stories he would tell us what happened to all these factory Hi-Po parts after the "Supercar Scare" and then when Mitsubishi took over would bring tears too your eyes.

I knew a guy in Orlando that "fixed up" (for you Aussies that's red neck for modified) a 65 Falcon for his wife. An inline 6! She embarrassed a lot of racers with that car. Wish I could remember some of the accomplishments.

Hot 6s where very common in Aus for a long time. Triple carbs and big cams every bugger had 1 or at least 1 of thier mates owned 1. chargers where top of the HP tree then LC LJ XU1s some of the race versions put out over 240hp in a 2400lb car so about a vega sized car

2e5i4ub.jpg
[/img]

15znhwo.jpg
[/img]

Probably jacked the thread long enough

Last edited by a moderator:
My roommate had a girl over one night, for some reason he took her to the garage to show her my car. She asks if it is a Charger, he replies no, its a Camaro!

mangled car names....what's wrong with "R" Model Mack? :) its not like they said ARRRRrrrgghhh model Mack
Does that mean it comes with a Boss 351?

-Kurt
well either you got one thrown in on the deal or you're confusing the 351 with the Dodge 413 or Detroit 6v 5308 or CAT 3208 which was the more popular of the three. Thermodyne and Maxidyne came into play later....not to be confused with the 351 Boss.

well either you got one thrown in on the deal or you're confusing the 351 with the Dodge 413 or Detroit 6v 5308 or CAT 3208 which was the more popular of the three. Thermodyne and Maxidyne came into play later....not to be confused with the 351 Boss.
I thought you said this was an R code.

Or is this a Bass 351 that you found in your VAN down by the RIVER?

:p

-Kurt

-Kurt
images

ahhhh Glasshoppah one confuses the R code comment with rreeerality...Comment mean Rhhh "MODEL" stated befoah. Glasshoppah need training to READ comment

Was asked today if mine was a Shelby, I said no, it is a Mark 7. She said cool

-Kurt
images

ahhhh Glasshoppah one confuses the R code comment with rreeerality...Comment mean Rhhh "MODEL" stated befoah. Glasshoppah need training to READ comment
^^That's bloody funny right there^^

Let's not disparage the Lincoln Mark VII LSCs too much now. They had awesome handling and the legendary- for-its-time 5.0 HO (302). A car destined to be a classic. It had several engineering firsts on it.

Back