This has got to be one of the strangest optioned cars I've seen

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check this out.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ford-mustang-38/#comments-anchor
A base "non Mach I" 72 sportsroof with factory Ram Air, rear spoiler, and a half vinyl roof in red with Mach I interior appointments. I have always heard of 72s and 73s with factory Ram Air, but I have never seen one in person. I've only seen 71s with Ram Air. The seller did an incredible job describing and showing the documentation on the car. He seemed to be very honest as well. I don't blame the seller for keeping the car and holding with the reserve after seeing this other car go for $51,500! https://www.mecum.com/lots/1108019/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/?aa_id=539244-0. But just like the issue with the radio bezel and central stack on the $51,500 car, the seller of this red car made the same kind of mistake. Note that the radio in this car is completely missing, lol!

For some reason I though the half vinyl roof was a 73 option - If this is Was it available for 71 and 72 Mach 1, or was it 72/73 or just available on the 73 Mach 1s (the only one I have ever seen)?

The 3/4 vinyl roof was an option for 71 an 72 also, although quite rare. 73s had that option prominently displayed in the Mustang sales literature, 71 and 72 did not. I think that is why a lot more 73s have it. 71, 72 and 73 early production used a bright metal black and shinny trim (like 71/72 tail lights and honey comb panel trim) along the rear edge of the vinyl. On later 73s it was all shinny consistent with the rest of the 73 trim, tail lights and honey comb panel trim. That option came with an extra reinforcement bracket located on the underside of the roof panel directly below the trim making the roof stiffer probably to facilitate installing the trim without the risk of bucking the roof. I think black vinyl was the only choice for 71 and 72. 73s had more color choices. I have seen blue, black and ginger. I think green and white where also choices depending on body paint color.

It also looks like it has the hood lock catches on the core support, but no hood locks in the hood.
There are no fender emblems either, so it probably has reproduction fenders, and a reproduction hood would explain no holes for the hood locks. I'm not knocking it for reproduction metal, though. I'd rather have new than original loaded with bondo and rust repair. They could have drilled the holes and installed the locks. Those and the functional ram air parts are essential for an original ram air car.

Since it's a "stock" order type, the dealership ordered it that way, so maybe a showroom display or dealer demo. Too bad the owner "mach'ed" it up. Would have been a more unique looking car minus the lower body paint and rear spoiler.

The 3/4 vinyl roof was available in early 71, but was discontinued early on with only 150 being made. It came back in 1972, reappearing in the Jan 1972 revision of the salesman's facts book. 866 were made in '72 and 8,050 in '73.

The short version of the 351 Ram Air question is it was available all three years on the 2V engines. For the 4V 351s, it was available all of '71, the first half year of '72 and not at all in '73.

1706547382846.png

Since it's a "stock" order type, the dealership ordered it that way, so maybe a showroom display or dealer demo. Too bad the owner "mach'ed" it up. Would have been a more unique looking car minus the lower body paint and rear spoiler.

The 3/4 vinyl roof was available in early 71, but was discontinued early on with only 150 being made. It came back in 1972, reappearing in the Jan 1972 revision of the salesman's facts book. 866 were made in '72 and 8,050 in '73.

The short version of the 351 Ram Air question is it was available all three years on the 2V engines. For the 4V 351s, it was available all of '71, the first half year of '72 and not at all in '73.

View attachment 85239
On the money on the '72 Ram Air. My '72 Q code convertible was built in December of 1971. It has the full ram air on it. I even did some research on this during my initial restoration in the early 80's. Found the build sheet and there it was, Ram Air withe the Q code! Also, I found it in the Ford Master Parts book. It states "72 through 12/71".

Attachments

• 20170424_153315.jpg
    20170424_153315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
On the money on the '72 Ram Air. My '72 Q code convertible was built in December of 1971. It has the full ram air on it. I even did some research on this during my initial restoration in the early 80's. Found the build sheet and there it was, Ram Air withe the Q code! Also, I found it in the Ford Master Parts book. It states "72 through 12/71".
Wow, t.kohlmeyer. That is one rare car! Could you please post a picture of the build sheet and the Eminger report or Marti report? Kevin.

Interesting. My 72 Q-code 'vert is a 1/72 build and came from the factory with the Ram Air option. This is reflected on the Marti. Is there a buck tag code for Ram Air?
1707538622262.png

Last edited:
Interesting. My 72 Q-code 'vert is a 1/72 build and came from the factory with the Ram Air option. This is reflected on the Marti. Is there a buck tag code for Ram Air?
Wow Chuck. Somehow I missed that you're car is a 72 Q code ram air vert as well. I'm having 72 Ram Air envy, lol. Does anyone have the stats for how many ram air cars were made in 71, 72, and 73? I think it would be in my "Mustang by the Numbers" book, but I can't find it.

Wow Chuck. Somehow I missed that you're car is a 72 Q code ram air vert as well. I'm having 72 Ram Air envy, lol. Does anyone have the stats for how many ram air cars were made in 71, 72, and 73? I think it would be in my "Mustang by the Numbers" book, but I can't find it.
Per my Marti above, just 81 convertibles were equipped with RA in 72.

I think what's important on Sheriff's car is the buck date. It became a "car" prior to the cutoff date.
Wow. That's a good point Hemi! I bet Chuck's car is the last 4V car to have Ram Air. So does anyone know how many H code cars had factory Ram Air for 1971, 1972, and 1973? Did any 302 cars have factory Ram Air? Kevin.

View attachment 85620
I would think yours came with the ram air due to the scheduled build date of 12/20/71 and not the actual build date of 1/12/72.

It's a shame the factory ram air cleaner is missing.
The entire Ram Air system is missing, actually... including the hood with the hood locks, plenum, plumbing and correct TuTone hood paint. The only part of the Ram Air that survived was the decals, and the call-out on the Marti Report. Puzzling. You'd think that if it showed up in the Marti, they would've at least made the effort to include it.

Back