Metal Engine Tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
does anyone have a metal engine tag dementions? i need the Lengh and width.

I want to have mine reproduced, but I only have a picture with the data, but I lost the original tag.

my freind can reproduce it for me, but ne needs a picture next to a ruler to copy it.

I cant spend the $45 that Marti want for it.

example of the tag below.

TAGE-64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
phototag.JPG

anyone have any measurement on this part??
these two tags are off of 1972 engines, one was a 351C Mach 1

the other was a Bronco 302. I know Ford stopped using the tags

sometime in 1972 and replaced them with a decal.

Back in 1972 I owned a 72 Mustang Conv. and it not have a metal tag,

It had a engine (family) decal on valve cover (by the oil cap), I have

seen this decal on the cowl, on the right side by the air inlet for heater

in front of the windshield.

TAGS ARE: 2 9/16" LONG 11/16" WIDE 3/8"Dia. HOLE

That's exactly what I needed :)

mine had the metal tag, and about 11 years ago I replaced the coil, and I took it off, and put it some where, and its been missing ever since, also the buck tag is with it... the plan was to clean them and re install them, but it never happened.

once again thanks.

it was mid to late 1972 that they switched to paper tags.

my engine was built in January 1972 so it was still metal, and the other reason I know that is because I'm the one who lost the original tag.

I thought ford quit doing tags in favor of the valve cover stickers in 1970..?
I thought the same thing, Because my new 72 mustang had no tag (a decal on the valve cover)I ordered this car in spring of 72; The TAGS I posted are on engines I bought a Long time ago! The one is out of wrecked MACH 1,That I bought in 1978 (THE CAR HAD LOW MILEAGE AND ORIGINAL) Not to long ago I was reading a Mustang mag. And somebody asked about this tag on their 1972 ford, So I had to go out to garage to LOOK at these engines, and to my surprise both engines still had the tag under the bolt that holds the coil bracket on the intake manifold.

Back