Michelin Tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
i have always had good luck with Michelin. The new ultra high performance all season has a traditional tread pattern (compared to the unidirectional pattern of the last PS A/S Plus). Unfortunately the 15" is much too small, the 16's are only med sized. So the 17' 235 x 55 x 17 looks to be a reasonable size for our cars, if you want to use 17" wheels. http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-3/tire-details The American Racing "Custom 500" wheels come in 17 x 8 so i guess it would be a very easy order to place if i want to try these tires. The site has some reviews by 2 mags that tried them on auto cross. Sounds like they like them! Unfortunately the AR site has no details on bolt patterns or back spacing....only offests which i dont know how they apply to fitment on our cars. Anyone seen the Michelins, or have any opinion on the AR Custom 500 wheels? thnx!

My wifes beemer used to have the run flats. Horrible horrible tire on a sport suspension car. I switched it over to the Michelin A/S tire that looks like it has truck tread. Had to use it because of the rear camber specs on those cars. They run very true and I know I can out corner a new vette with them. It looks like I'll get about 30k miles out of them but she has no spare tire. We have two towing companies numbers kept in our cell phones just in case. Her car has had 3 flats on the right rear in 22k miles. I suspect it is because that is probably the tire with the engine torque applied most of the time. I think as you get higher traction in tires it becomes more of a problem. If there is a nail or bolt in the road that tire will keep it as a souvenir.

My Mercedes I've used the pilot sports. You hit anything with them and its a guaranteed sidewall blowout. Then the best I can get out of them is 16k miles and they are bald as a babys butt.

They ride so smooth you can't tell the car is moving. It's given me a wierd vertigo feeling a couple times.

73k miles and I think I'm up to 13 tires for that car and 3 are bald right now.

I'm going to try your same tires on the benz next but I have clearcoat peeling on one wheel and all 4 are going to be repowdercoated.

I suspect they will be just like what is on my wifes car but with a more "car" style tread pattern.

They are too new for anyone to make a judgement about them.

I suspect they will ride very smooth and last 30k miles or the first nail, bolt, wire, or glass whichever comes first.

Back