"Modern" performance cars vs "Vintage" performance cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first vehicle was my 1967 F-100 2wd short box with a 352, manual steering, manual 4 wheel drum brakes, and a limited slip rear. I learned avoidance maneuvers and how to counter steer real quick. I have since converted it to power brakes and steering... After not driving it every day, I couldn't fathom how I used to parallel park it.. Guess that's what developed my pecks in high school. :D

I'd rather have a '63 park lane than my 09 grand marquis.

This thread is worthy of being a "sticky" on so many levels. Younger generation Mustang owners that convey their thoughts intelligently and interestingly (I've got some street cred - I'm a high school vice principal and former teacher), as well as awesome posts by many, including 'Cuda and Kit (passages from "Hot Rod" and "Street Rod" by Henry Gregor Felson scrolled through my head as I was reading those posts) deserve to be read by most of our members. And the rest of the responses are simply great stuff guys and gals. ::thumb::
I LOVE my HOTROD magazine subscription!:p I read that thing cover to cover the second it comes in the mail! i also watch all the roadkill episodes they have and whatever else is on YouTube that those guys do. David Freiburger might be my hero lol.

I am also 19 yr old girl, driving around my 73' that was handed down by my step-grandmother. I LOVE driving this car. I drive it almost every day in the summer. It sounds good, looks great, and rides the road like no other car I have driven. Yes, its a bit boaty, but its a big car. I can drive it with one finger or none and it still drives straighter than my friends 2004 Lincoln. Not to mention, it is much easier to work in the engine bay of these cars. There is so much room to put my hands. Modern cars are so compact and full of plugs and wires.

However, I don't know how people lived without heated seats in the winter with these cars, I imagine none came with factory heated seats? I know you can put them in now but I doubt people drive these in the winter (esp in New England).
::thumb::::thumb:: way too go too.Style is ageless as is good taste you younger people are our hobbies future

Kit, I think you are preaching to the choir here. We all think like you or we probably wouldn't be here in the first place. :)

I like both, old and new. I like the refinement on modern cars as well as the down to earth, crude behavior of classics.

I drive my 72 a lot, in fact I don't know anyone here in my country who drives his classic more than I do. I put 26000 km (+16000 miles) on it last year, this year I have made 12000 km (7500 miles) and if the weather permits I will add another 3000km. I it wasn't for the winter break and the rained out summers, I would probably not even own a new car, so I guess I know what you mean.

I do have a new VW though and that car is fun to drive in it's own way. I like the quality materials, the quiet ride quality, the extremely high gas mileage ( approx 44 mpg) and whatnot. With these new cars you make no compromises, everything works in your favor and you don't need to put up with bad manners like you would on old cars.

But that is the charm of old cars: the bad manners that give them personality. It doesn't have to be a rumpty-rump cam. In fact my 72 idles so smoothly that I can put a socket extension upright on the air filter and it will not topple over.

I have sophisticated the handling quality of it, so that it can take a beating on our narrow and winding European roads and it corners like it's on rails almost on a par with my VW and Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

But even these features will not ruin the sheer driving pleasure when you fire it up.

It's still a car that will have it's very own way of challenging you. It's like it said "Ok, you can drive me and I'll play along. I'll give you all I have but ask yourself this: Can you take it?"

I'll take a little detour into another field of work to show you that it's not only with cars: I once sold a guitar because it was too good. (A Music Man "Luke" for those in the know).

That guitar was perfect in every way. It was easy to play, versatile, sounded great, was light enough to wear around your neck for hours, stayed perfectly in tune etc etc... but it was too smooth.

For a professional guitar player that thing would have been great but I want to have fun playing. I don't mind the small imperfections of my other guitars, in fact I embrace them because they give them personality. And I like having to get myself into these little imperfections. I know that my vintage Fender Strat has a dead spot somewhere around the 13th fret, so I either play around that or I take it into account that I need to play that note in that spot in a different way. As a pro who needs dependable gear that performs as well as possible this might be an issue, for me it's part of the fun.

It's just the same with cars. If I had to spend all day in my car for my job, I would probably not do that in my Mustang, I'd choose a new car that gives me all the amenities to make me comfortable. In that case it would not be about driving a car, it would be a necessity. I would not be driving for the sake of driving.

Another example: I am not into guns at all but I remember that when I had the opportunity, it was much more fun to shoot a replica of an old front loader Remington with the ritual of pouring in the powder, then stuffing a bullet into the chamber and shoot it all in a huge cloud of smoke than it was shooting a modern gun. But if my life depended on it I'd not mess with it but choose something handy and practical.

So, be it guitars, cars or whatever, I think the keyword here is personality. Even a new car can have a personality. If it does, then I will like for what it is. If it doesn't, it'll leave no impression.

What's the quote from Pulp Fiction? "Personality goes a long way."

Sermon over, the choir is released. :)
Mike just to hijack the thread for a second is there also a music man luke3 in a kind of Cool metallic blue. I think my friend made a swap for a gibson. He had the Luke then got a gibson thats is about all I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike just to hijack the thread for a second is there also a music man luke3 in a kind of Cool metallic blue. I think my friend made a swap for a gibson. He had the Luke then got a gibson thats is about all I know.
Short answer to the hijacking: There is a Luke 3 but IIRC it is the current model with two humbuckers.

The first ones came in red and dark blue metallic and FR trem, then the second one had a vintage style trem and came in a cool light blue metallic that I thought was more silver than blue. That was the one I had and the one you probably meant. After that it also came in different colors, usually as limited runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first car was a 65 coupe. 16yo no frills 200ci six that I thought was a racecar. No power steering, no power or disc brakes, No One drove that car besides me except my girlfriend at the time for about 5 miles as I had one to many brews to feel comfortable driving.

Now at 26 years old I've reignited that love with my 73. I get how kit feels about that shifter. But It's a good feeling driving a car you can feel. It's like actually feeling the shifter move from one gear onto another.

I plan to make mine a daily driver (somewhat) when it's done. I really want to do the T5 conversion first. Better MPGs than the old 3spd.

Honestly unless your on a racetrack there's enough aftermarket to make the old stangs keep up with modern cars on most roads and speed limits.

Can't wait to get back to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling that anytime my Mustang's throttle is prodded, there will be a very pronounced "event," in the way of noise, getting shoved back into the seat, less "dulled and dampened" feelings from the drivetrain, no traction control, etc., which I'm betting will never fail to be exciting. Which is to be expected, of course... and I wouldn't change a thing, either.
You hit the nail on the head, Eric.

Start tearing out the Dynamat ;)

-Kurt

Back