More 71-73 Mustang Models

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From what I've been reading online, MPC is reissuing this kit come August this year! Below is a copy of the kit[/b] description...

1970's Hot Rod Magazine Mustang Funny Car

Item No: MPC801

Release Date: August 2013

MPC reintroduces the Hot Rod Magazine Mustang Funny Car! This sleek 70's flopper is a kit with a valuepacked bonus-a free one year subscription to Hot Rod magazine! Featuring a blown drag motor, factory prelettered slicks, tubular "short dragster" chassis and optional twin open parachutes. Improved decal graphics and packaging inspired by the vintage original will make this kit a sure fire seller!

•Scale: 1/25

•Skill Level: 2 (ages 10 and up)

•Glue assembly, paint required

•Molded in white

•Free 1-year subscription offer to Hot Rod magazine

•Fully detailed "short dragster" tubular chassis

•Blown drag motor

•Factory pre-lettered drag slicks

•Improved and expanded decal graphics

•Vintage-kit packaging style

I decided to take apart my Danbury Mint Boss 351 and cast the parts to make the AMT and MPC plastic kits a lot better. The FM diecasts are superb but at $150 or so each on Ebay that is too pricey to take apart and then have to glue back together and hope it looks as good as new. The DM Mach1 is the model in the middle - the others are the Testors kits.metalmodels 001.jpg

Here are the parts I had cast.

To remind you guys - there are some resin kits out there of a coupe and perhaps they will also do a convertible. http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/71MustangGrandeBase.htm

Rex7173parts 001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is some great info. on the model scene. I always thought it would be cool if one of the die cast manufacturers allowed for customers to order any factory exterior color for their own car. I would think they could make some pretty good money by upcharging over the pricing for the main production car if the customer was able to order the exterior color of their car. I have a diecast 72 model that is pretty accurate in the box, but it is red. I would like to paint in my cars color, but I will loose the stripes. Anyhow, anyone with connections into this industry should throw that idea out there. I would pay some extra money for a die cast in my cars color.

Motormax did 1/24 diecast sportsroofs in many colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-MOTORMAX-Diecast-1-24-Scale-Blue-/390615792581?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item5af283fbc5

You can also find them under the brand America Grafitti

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-WHITE-1-24-AMERICAN-GRAFFITI-/140347710337?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item20ad601b81

Jada did 73 Mach1's in many colors but of course they're not stock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jada-1-24-1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Blue-NIB-/310707073522?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item485795b1f2

They are what you would expect for the price. I'd pay to buy the Franklin Mint models unbuilt any day of the week. They did the Mach1 in blue and Boss in Pewter and that was it. Here's one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANBURY-MINT-NBR-LE-1-24-1971-MUSTANG-MACH-1-BRIGHT-BLUE-METALLIC-/380679487033?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item58a243fe39

I don't have any pictures (and my collection is currently packed away), but another manufacturer that I think did an excellent job on a 71 Mustang is Sun Star ...

http://www.sunstarmodelcars.com/3606/3606.htm

Opening doors, folding seats, opening trunk (can even see the fire extinguisher in there), detailed engine and 1:18 scale to boot...not the greatest, but given the limited options we lovers of the big horse have...definately worth getting in my opinion. Only issue I had was the lightly glued on antenna stub, popped mine off taking it out of the box, but easy enough to glue back on.

Michael

I got the 1/25 version as well! It used to be harder to find the 71-73 Mustangs model kits. I can't remember which compnay made it (might have been revell) but the "best" option used to be the Boss 351 kit...but the lines weren't right and for some odd reason all the 71-73 Mustang kits I've seen and had were just like it, the hood had the cowl vents (not sure if that is the proper term, but is was the slots cut along the back end of some hoods) on it...not even close to what the real hood looks like.

I am happy with my find!

Michael
I hate the cowl vent hood mistake!

Three Franklin/Danbury Bosses on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANBURY-MINT-1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-/261235382785

Hi guys, I made a Mustang model too. I used CAD data to 3D print a master, from that I made a silicone mold and then resin cast the bodyshell. It's 1:32 scale and fits on my slot car chassis.

Mach1_resin_1.jpg

I've always loved the look of these cars since seeing the James Bond chase in Las Vegas, but when I painted one I chose a more familiar color scheme

mach1_side-1024x408.jpg

Mach1_Police_front-1024x777.jpg

Mach1_police_rear.jpg

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

I've got some Mach 1 models as well. The first was a Testors die-cast in pewter, and like Rex said, it's OK and more of a blend of '71-'72 & '73 things which look a little goofy to those of us who know the differences.

I received a Sun-Star 1/18 scale model a few years ago as a Secret Santa gift. It's REALLY nice, too (in front of the monitor, with a Testors 1/25th to the left).

attachment.php

I think the only thing I don't really care for with the pre-painted die-cast kits is that they always have the stripes, spoilers, and every possible thing already added to the kits, and you can't remove anything without having to modify and/or repaint (which doesn't always go well, depending on the thing you need to change).

My wife snagged me a Danbury Mint Boss 351, which as Rex pointed out, is a very quality kit. It came already built, but it's all there and pretty much dead-on.

The ones I'm looking forward the most to build are the Doyusha "Vanishing Mach 1" kit(s). There's a 1/12th as well as a 1/24th in this one.

946935-12155-55.jpg

toy-scl-3672.jpg

I also have several of the MPC and/or AMT '71 Mach 1 and '71 Boss 351 kits, which are just like the Testors kits, with the '73 front bumper and a blend of the '71-'72 & '73 grille (think '71-'72 grille with '73 headlight doors).

My plan is to build one kit as my '71 would've come from the factory, one as it was when I bought it, one all finished as it sits today, and another as part of a garage diorama with it in the process of being restored. The 1/12th will be built as the car currently sits - I scored some 1/12th Cragar S/Ss and some other goodies to make it work.

Oh, almost forgot - I have some Mach 1 funny car kits as well. My wife found Bounty Hunter and Hot Rod Magazine kits at Hobby Lobby one day. Apparently, there are a bunch of those kits: Blue Max, Parnelli Jones, and Shirley Muldowney, and those kits could also be used to make tributes of some of the other funny cars out there as well just by changing decals and looking close at the old pictures.

Back