Moser axles and bearing with SSBC rear disc brake kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I finished plumbing the front brake system and the line that goes from the proportioning valve/distribution block to the rear flex line. I installed the new third member from Moser along with the Moser 31 spline axles.

Lesson #1-Moser axles bearings are thicker than stock. This poses a problem with using a system that is designed around the housing to axle flange spacing. Luckily, the SSBC kit has a sliding caliper, but if you are looking to use a Wilwood brake system, beware.

Along with my axles and bearings, I received Moser wishbone style axle retaining plates.

Lesson #2-SSBC rear disc brake kit uses a split shim/bracket. This design does not allow the use of a wishbone retaining plate because it does not apply support gap on the plate, which aligns and support the split shim design. After installing the parts, the shim bulged at the gap in the plate, which misaligned the shim at the top. Thankfully, I ordered a Currie Enterprises heavy duty (1/4 inch) stock shape retaining plate. Of course to do this I had to press the old bearing off. A favor from friend and a new pair of axles later, I had a pair of axles to install with the proper retaining plate. They were installed and looked good, until I tried to install the parking brake cables.

Prior to installing the kit, I watched the CJ Pony parts installation video on YouTube. They were fortunate to have the kit and cable installed without need for modification. On my '72, that was not the case.

Lesson #3-The cable housing (bracket to bracket distance) was too short as well as the cables. In the video, and in the installation instructions, they recommend the parking cable bracket attach to the REAR lower bolt. In the installation video, the closest hole to the cable attachment point was used. For mine, and most likely everyone else's, the middle attaching point to the lower FRONT bolt works great because it clears the rear bolt and can be aligned with the cable through hole and attaching point much better.

The cable themselves are about four inches to short overall. Considering I just bought brand new stainless cable and didn't have any desire to return them, I found another solution. The bracket that connects the two ball crimped ends had to be made in a longer version. I am having it made out of 1/4 inch stainless. Not only will my cable be stainless, but now the bracket will be the same. As of now, the SSBC kit is pretty much installed and have the new stainless parking brake cables installed and connected as described above, with the only thing missing being the new extension bracket.

Back