Most accurate paint?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August07

Reaction score
My Car
Gold 1972 Grande, H-type
Definitely going to repaint this soon, I work in a paint and body shop so I have the resources to do it perfectly but was curious what the most accurate to original paint on the market is. Also was curious about where to look for a replacement vinyl roof since I have the Grande variant and the current one I have is busted. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Definitely going to repaint this soon, I work in a paint and body shop so I have the resources to do it perfectly but was curious what the most accurate to original paint on the market is. Also was curious about where to look for a replacement vinyl roof since I have the Grande variant and the current one I have is busted. Thanks!
SMS Auto Fabrics has the correct grain vinyl for your Grande. https://smsautofabrics.com/ I was able to get my Mach's 3/4 vinyl top from them. Do a research on them though, they are not the quickest when it comes to shipping.

Since you're in the business, have your best painter shoot some test panels and match them against untouched areas of the car, such as the underside of the trunk lid. The higher end paint systems will typically have the proper toners to get you closer to the original look. Your shop's paint rep may be able to assist as well.

I happen to have an original 1972 PPG/Ditzler paint color sheet for the Mustang
I've scanned it below. The second scan is the interior color listing. The other two may also be useful.

Attachments

• Scan0002.jpg
    Scan0002.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan0003.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan0005.jpg
    Scan0005.jpg