My 72 Sportster Concept

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Sportster Project
Hi friends..

Got this I wanted to share with you, and gather some opinion. It's a concept I'm working on, using a 71-73 Grande or base coupe. Basically it's a notchback. I call it the Sportster. It will be a two seater with a rear seat delete with storage centers in the delete area.

My concept story:

The year is late 1971. Ponycar sales are going down due to the uncertianty of an energy crisis, and the insurance and government regs are starting to make there presence known. The guys at Ford sales come up with another way to market the mustang to a broader buying public, like the sprint edition and compete with the corvette, a design which Bunkie Knudsen helped along. Hopefully it would cut sales for his fomer his employer. After all.... this was his Mustang.

Sportster1 - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a fun project! Not much leg room in the back anyway! LOL

Keep us posted!

So what do I need here fellas?...I know ther will be work involved in some sheetmetal but what is the best approach? This was photochopped from a fastback so do I start with that or simple coupe (with c pillar modification right?) Just need to figure a way to make it look like the concept, and I don't know if a coupe is the right thing, or do I need a convertible to somehow get the look of a hardtop? If you look at it from a side profile, I guess I'm tryin to pull off a little of the 69 shelby gt convertible or the look of a convertible only with a hard top......what do you guys think?

69_500_2667_left.jpg

A vert may better...always easy to add metal than remove it! LOL

Based on what you say you want to do, I would say go with your original post - - use a 71 - 73 coupe or Grande. A convertible would also work based on your stated desired result.

"Modified Mustangs & Ford" magazine currently has a project (68 Mustang) where they chronicle the "tweaking of the metal" in their April 2010 issue. It is a very good read and should give you some ideas (if you don't already have them) on what is involved.

Unlike a couple members on this "board", I am not a welder but it certainly seems doable to me - - if you have the expertise for fabrication.

Again, I believe the best option (based on what you have stated so far) is to go with the Coupe or Grande. You can probably find one fairly clapped out "for cheap" and you will be ahead of the game. Quite frankly, I have seen a picture in one of my Ford-related publications that shows something similar that Ford had looked at as part of their concept - - just can't put my paws on it right now.

Are you planning on using fiber glass or metal? Lots of options out there.

Hope this helps!

BT

Cool!!...see if you can hunt that up when you get a chance. I don't really want to use glass..it develops stress cracks after some years. Thought metal would be the way to go. But of course I'll do what's need for the style and do-able-ness. All comes up to $$ I guess.

For my Birthday, sweetie pie said we could have one of those magazine type artists render a couple views. I'm in talks with a shop but they seem not too interested, so I'm just trying get things rolling a bit. I'm here in Illinois, and Rad Rides by Troy is up the road here in Manteno...wonder if I could talk sweetie into that? :p

But as for the car itself, would the vert give off the lines better? I think if I used a grande, it might come off too "chunky" in the rear.

The article in PHR was dealing in metal.

Here is a link to a couple pictures of the concept car that was allegedly used in developing the 71 - 73 mustangs. It looks more like the SportsRoof version that was ultimately built but you get the idea.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database/milanostang.php

Hope this helps!

Bt

you can also start looking at other cars that might have a similar shape to use as a donor that way it will be easier to match both sides .I know that a lot of people who add wheel flares to 68 /70 mustangs use the panels of the 71,73.

Cobra....Thanks for the pics! Thats the mustang milano concept. It's kinda what helped me get the ol noggin workin on this!

Fastback...With the shape of the C pillar, would you say it kinda goes along with the 67-68 hardtop? I thought maybe that would make a good graft. Thoughts?

Cobra....Thanks for the pics! Thats the mustang milano concept. It's kinda what helped me get the ol noggin workin on this!

Fastback...With the shape of the C pillar, would you say it kinda goes along with the 67-68 hardtop? I thought maybe that would make a good graft. Thoughts?
It is close but I didn't necessarily mean a mustang there are a lot of cars out there just google muscle car images and see what comes up.you might find something closer.

Thanks 72Fastback !.....I'm gettin pretty beat up on the other forums!
If your skills are up to the task the Coupe would be the closest to your desired outcome...seems to me that it wouldn't be to hard to do since most of the mod would be in the sail panel area, rear deck, and tops of the quarters. You could use the exsisting metal & remove ..shrink..enlarge..etc to get the shape you want. It could all be framed on a steel rod or tube framework..Back in the day that's how we did wheel flairs(At least how i did them) We bent some brake line tubing in the shape of the flair..welded it on to the wheel arch..then used cardboard to cut a templete for the steel....Then welded the steel to the framework & quarter. Just some Ideas..also Most shops are not gonna get involved in a project like this since it's not really profitable..& if they do, the going rate for this type of work is about 75.00-90.00 per hour plus materials..I see an easy 80 hours if not more...You can do the math.

fabrication-front-valance31.jpg

Scott

Hi friends..

Got this I wanted to share with you, and gather some opinion. It's a concept I'm working on, using a 71-73 Grande or base coupe. Basically it's a notchback. I call it the Sportster. It will be a two seater with a rear seat delete with storage centers in the delete area.

My concept story:

The year is late 1971. Ponycar sales are going down due to the uncertianty of an energy crisis, and the insurance and government regs are starting to make there presence known. The guys at Ford sales come up with another way to market the mustang to a broader buying public, like the sprint edition and compete with the corvette, a design which Bunkie Knudsen helped along. Hopefully it would cut sales for his fomer his employer. After all.... this was his Mustang.
I love that look! Can you use a coupe and just Change tha sail panels to the shape you want and move the back glass flush to the outside? You could use an early 67-68 coupe glass,they have a slight curve to them !

1973_Ford-31.JPG

Here's a bit of an idea for you.

If you took a vert..... you could make two different looks for your car.

First you make a custom sportster look....rear fiberglass cover that covers the rear seat and gives you the look of a two seater....still leaves the seat there or remove as you wish. From that sportster cover you add a dock for a custom removable notchback "lid" that you could put on or take off as you desired. You could use the convertible roof latches for the front to make sure it clamps to the windsheild and do something similar to hold down the bottom of the roof.

Takes it back to the look the 63/4 t-birds employed.

Hope I explained my thought well enough that you could get a visual.

Awe dang! I saw 72 Sportster and thought someone here was into Harley Ironheads :) Harley Davidson may not like the idea of you taking the name "Sportster" :sleepy: Anyhow, I saw a 65ish body style concept that looks like yours. THey chopped it and made a truck bed much like a Ranchero.

Hey!! nice iniciative there!!... i´m not a modifier myself but i happend to love some cars by parts :p if i get it right, you pretend a coupé side view, similar to the early mustang ones but with a backwindow in the same line as the metal sheets... similar to first era camaros?

Your render reminds me the 70 coupé as well but with a longer butt... like that too... agressive coupé ;)

As the matter of how to do it, i´ll start for drawing and thinking the things you don´t think at first view... I´m an Industrial Designer, always loved car designs so, i´m not a butcher in this area!! jeje... For example, how do you imagine the rear extensions?, are they gonna be somewhing particular??... decide that and then, choose a set of tail lights that matches...

Is the rear trunk lid funcional? how are you planning to do the opening?....

Another thing i´ll do first is choose the rear window.. buy it and do all the metal work for that particular window... Don´t wait to the last minute cause you´re gonna end putting a plain glass and that´s not believable.... For me, modifications should look like factory options... I remember Chip Foose saying that a good work is good if only people don´t notice you´ve been working there...

PS: Besides the side look, do you have something scketched of other views and details?? I´d love to see more and i´d love to follow your progress :)

GOOD LUCK!!

Back