My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished getting the steering wheel painted today, got the center horn pad cleaned and painted and got the horn emblem decal and mounted it. Need to let the horn pad dry completely and then I can attach the emblem.

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

Thx Mike!!!

Parts are beginning to arrive now. I have most of the interior pieces now to complete the inside if the car were ready. Got everything from Legendary and the quality looks very good. I'll know more when I start trying to fit everything. I'll try to get pics of the parts soon

Today I got the 2 front door windows out and the passenger rear side window. Also got all the trim off on the passenger side. Next week end I need to get the driver side rear side window out and all the trim around the windows.

Slight change of plans now. Once the windows are all out I am going to prep and paint the dash. The paint came in so I will try spaying it to see how my paint skills are. Then I am going to move it inside so that I can work on it in the evenings during the week. I have all the pieces for the dash so I decided to just prep that now.

After the dash is painted I will start to remove the suspension pieces and the car will take up most of my garage space so Ill be limited on restoring other pieces.

Here are some pics and the passenger dash insert that I restored.

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Found out where Vin numbers are on a 71 Roadrunner excluding tranny, and motor. They can be found on the dash, drivers door, radiator support and the cowl above the wiper motor. Prior to 71 they were also stamped on the package tray and under the trunk lid seal. On my car the vin stamp on the cowl is really clear as it was not painted and resides under the cowl to hood seal. The radiator frame was under the antifreeze sticker and was heaviy painted. I could read the last 3 numbers which was 737. I am going to get some paint remover and try to get a pic of the whole number so that I can document it.

Happy to say that everything is now gutted with only the suspension pieces remaining to be removed. Going to go on jack stands next week and those pieces will come off.

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

Just a quick update. I was able to get the Idle Stop Solenoid that I needed for the six pack setup. They only made this one for 71 v coded motors (other years are different) and these solenoids are pretty hard to find. The casing has pitting so I am going to see if I can clean it up a little but it does have the correct assembly number on it. I did find an NOS one but they wanted $1250.00 for it. It's hidden under the air cleaner so you really can't see it.

solenoid.jpg

solenoid1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much to update today. Over the weekend I decided that I needed to clear up some of the parts that I had laying around in the garage so I decided to try to clean up some of the chrome pieces to see if I could get them looking better than they were. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the results considering these pieces are 45 years old. Also started to prep the dash panel as I finally received the proper reducer I needed. I plan to spray that this coming weekend. Some pics.

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

I had my Power Brake Booster rebuilt by Dewey's in Portland Oregon and it arrived today. Also had the Master Brake Cylinder cap replated and that came out really well. This process is teaching me a lot about restoring cars to near concours in my case and the attention to detail you guys spend when doing your cars. Attached the before and after shot of the parts. I am getting a NOS master cylinder to replace the one on the car to complete this part as I could not find the numbers on it so I am thinking it was replaced at some point.

100_0148.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

The steering column is now disassembled and there are a couple of issues with it. Looks like the key cylinder housing is damaged along with another metal part. When I got the car the wheel could be turned without the key, it's supposed to be a locking steering column. Also you could pull on the steering wheel and pull it out about an inch. Going to decide next how to fix all of this but the plan is to replace all the electrical components at a minimum. Some pics of the pieces.

untitled.png

untitled1.png

untitled2.png

untitled3.png

untitled4.png

untitled5.png

untitled6.png

untitled7.png

untitled9.png

untitled10.png

untitled12.png

untitled13.png

untitled14.png

untitled15.png

untitled16.png

Sort of messed up last week as I forgot to get the primer to shoot the dash this last weekend, I needed self etching as I sanded the old finish off to metal. Tonight I put on 2 coats of black primer so tomorrow some light sanding and hopefully I will get the final finish on. A couple of pics of the pieces that were primed.

The final color will be Black Suede.

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

I shot 4 coats of the Black Suede Acrylic finish on the dash and all the parts for it. This paint gives it a slight texture and looks really nice. I am going to let it dry for a couple of days then move it inside so that I can assemble the pieces on it as I get them. I was told that acrylic paint if not applied properly will start to crack and look like alligator hide so I'll be looking for this over the next few days.

I also found out to reface and calibrate all the gauges will take 4 to 6 months because of the backlog. The wiper motor will be done this week and so I'll get that back a week or so after that and will attach pics of that. Attaching some pictures of the dash.

Edit: Also painted the back side of the dash as it was bare metal. Just did that in black because you can't see it and the surface rust was annoying.

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

Thx Mike and Lars for your comments.

I put the dash pad on, the ash tray and some of the bezels. The dash is a repop and fitment issues were encountered with this one like I experienced with the Mustang. The only concern is with the bezel on the passenger side at the upper right side as you can see in the pics, Hoping that it will get some of the shape back after a while. Anyway it an improvement from what it was like.

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

100_0141.JPG

Back