My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Framing started on the shop today.  Trusses will be here on Monday and the roofing will start on Tuesday.  The header for the double wide door was incorrect so I had to order the correct one and should be in tomorrow.

20180307_154746.jpg

20180307_154816.jpg

20180307_155309.jpg

20180307_155319.jpg

20180307_155759.jpg

20180307_160415.jpg

How tall is the ceiling height going to be? The shop I’m putting up is 40x40 as well. 14’ side walls. The largest and tallest the code would allow.

How tall is the ceiling height going to be? The shop I’m putting up is 40x40 as well. 14’ side walls. The largest and tallest the code would allow.
Jason,

The side wall is 10' on mine but to make clearance half of my shop has a vaulted ceiling to get extra clearance for the lift.

-john

Jason,

The side wall is 10' on mine but to make clearance half of my shop has a vaulted ceiling to get extra clearance for the lift.

-john
I like the vaulted ceiling idea. I have my foundation in right now. Will start framing as soon as I finish the house and get moved in (projected March 23). Will need to get the shop done prior to the end of April as that is when the new owners are closing on my current house and I need a place to put all my tools and cars. Here is a pic just after the floor was poured. Lots of concrete as it is built into a hill plus had to do 4' deep footings as well.

Jason,

-john
I like the vaulted ceiling idea. I have my foundation in right now. Will start framing as soon as I finish the house and get moved in (projected March 23). Will need to get the shop done prior to the end of April as that is when the new owners are closing on my current house and I need a place to put all my tools and cars. Here is a pic just after the floor was poured. Lots of concrete as it is built into a hill plus had to do 4' deep footings as well.

You will be done before me.  We expect to move in around mid May.  You can see the concrete pad for the shop in the back right.  Are you putting in a lift?

Jason,

-john

You will be done before me.  We expect to move in around mid May.  You can see the concrete pad for the shop in the back right.  Are you putting in a lift?

Yes I will be putting in a lift as well. How large is the lot? We have some crazy zoning around here. I am out in the county (not in town) and I had to have over 2 acres to be able to build the 40x40, so I found a 2.02 acre lot. :), otherwise I was limited to 28x36. If I wanted larger than 40x40 I would have to have greater than 5 acres. On the house we just finishing up the interior trim and bedroom carpet is going in next week along with appliances, then it is cleaning and moving in.

Yes I will be putting in a lift as well. How large is the lot? We have some crazy zoning around here. I am out in the county (not in town) and I had to have over 2 acres to be able to build the 40x40, so I found a 2.02 acre lot. :), otherwise I was limited to 28x36. If I wanted larger than 40x40 I would have to have greater than 5 acres. On the house we just finishing up the interior trim and bedroom carpet is going in next week along with appliances, then it is cleaning and moving in.
I am in the county too but my lot only had to be 1/2 acre.  Did you put footings in for the lift or just poured a slab with correct thickness?  I poured 2 pads and the thickness is about 8 inches.  Will support 13,000 lbs.

I am in the county too but my lot only had to be 1/2 acre.  Did you put footings in for the lift or just poured a slab with correct thickness?  I poured 2 pads and the thickness is about 8 inches.  Will support 13,000 lbs.
I poured footings as well had be 14" per code for a lift due to my soil composition being pretty much 100% sand. It's like I live on a beach, in Iowa.

The roof is almost done  ;)

The shops ceiling is half flat and half vaulted.  You can see this in this picture if you look closely.  When I looked at it today I will be able to raise the car enough so that you can walk underneath it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back