My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting options. Have you done the galen thing yet will come back pretty low numbers I think
Luke,

This car is 1 of 137 4 spds for this year. It is quite interesting as it came with bench seats, 3/4 vinyl top, no lazer stripe or AC. It has the front spoiler and air grabber hood. It pretty much looks like a sleeper car with the exception of the hood and 4 spd. It didn't have the 440-6 emblem that you normally see above the front side marker lights either. It's in pretty rough condition and I am going to restore with no mods with the exception of the front grille emblem. I have the original one and these are held on by 1 nut so it's no big deal as it can be changed out in a minutes time. The roadrunner emblem in the pic is over the rear wheel well in about the same area where the bottom of the lazer stripe would be. Color is Curious Yellow with black interior.

They made 109 automatics.

Yes I am going to get a Galen report on this car.
Nice, so we are most likely looking at a 1of1 or close to it. Looks like they ticked the right boxes for going fast and weren't real concerned about the rest. Do you know what rear gears where in it new. Very Cool car I love modified stuff but I am glad you are going back to stock on this one as it will be pretty unique ::thumb::

STD rear was a Dana 60 Sure Grip 3.23 with the motor rated at 385 HP. This car was modified with 5.13 rear at one time and I believe that it has 4.11 now. I will have to decode the fender tag to see what it was actually built with. Just hoping it was with the 3.53 rear which would be a good all around rear. I am the 4th owner of this car so not quite sure how much it was changed in the past. I do know the first owner had drag slicks on it at one time and used to take it to the Phoenix drags. Luckily they did not tub the car and it has all the original sheet metal, no accidents but has some surface rust but nothing rotted through since its in the Arizona desert. It's similar to my Mustang in that it hasn't been driven since the 90's and the AZ heat has destroyed the interior so I will have a lot of things to redo there. Because it is the last of the Mopar performance cars I decided to get this plus the price was right. Lastly I am going to put it on a rotisserie for this project. Winter weather is bad here now so its going to look like I'll be trailering it up in March now instead of next month.

Since the PO decided to put a 4V carb on and didn't keep the original one I have managed to get a correct date code intake manifold, the air cleaner with correct part number, and a correct date coded dual point distributor. As for the carbs, Holly now makes them with original tooling and stamped with the original part numbers. I didn't want to mess with buyng old ones and having to rebuild them again. I have the center one and the 2 outboard ones will be in on Thursday. Rated 1350 cfm for the setup, it will be pumping some air, not to mention gas :)

manifold.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find.

The two barrels are rated at a different pressure drop than four barrels. IIRC the Six Pack/Six Barrel (& Chevy Tri Power) set ups are about 957 combined CFM when rated the same way as a four barrel.

Great find.

The two barrels are rated at a different pressure drop than four barrels. IIRC the Six Pack/Six Barrel (& Chevy Tri Power) set ups are about 957 combined CFM when rated the same way as a four barrel.
Good to know, all Holly says are that the outboards are 500 cfm each and the center is 350 cfm.

Have a question, I found a period correct block that was designated a warranty block that has the correct stampings on the stamp pad but is missing the vin number. This would make sense because Plymouth would not know what car that they would eventually wind up in. Have any of you ever heard of something like this? If it is indeed a block as mentioned is it illegal to stamp a vin number on it? Kind of curious as I could have a matching numbers motor if this is legal. Apparently there is a code designating it a warranty block. Never heard of this situation before.

Non-number warranty engine were common in old Corvettes but I don't know how MOPAR did it. My understanding about adding the VIN is can be considered a crime if it is used to misrepresent what it really is. I think Oklahoma has its own laws that are very strict about stuff like this. It may vary state by state

Is it a warranty block or Just a new block from block from back in the day. I personally would still use it anyway and not stamp the vin. Here in Aus people with original versions of our high dollar muscle cars will get blocks and stamp new vins to match I kinda think its a little off much better to say its a date correct replacement block or nos block in my opinion. The Mopar forums are probs alive with this topic given the price of perfectly restored Chrysler corp muscle cars.

I am told that there is a code stamped on the stamping block that indicates its a warranty block. I agree just leave it without a Vin. Who's to say it wasn't originally on this car. I would just say I don't know and Mopar probably never documented this or the if they did that info is long gone now. It would be the period correct motor so that's all I care about right now.

thx guys

I am told that there is a code stamped on the stamping block that indicates its a warranty block. I agree just leave it without a Vin. Who's to say it wasn't originally on this car. I would just say I don't know and Mopar probably never documented this or the if they did that info is long gone now. It would be the period correct motor so that's all I care about right now.

thx guys
I think its a tag with S stamped on it for warranty replacement engines or short blocks. Repair block would need documentation for original replacement if you where a serious collector. Not so important to the rest of us I imagine. Still a cool car no changing that fact.

This thread has got my Mopar rash itching again. May have to start scratching

Pulled the trigger on the G coded 440-6 HP motor today. Plans are to bore it 30 over and put forged 440HP pistons in. This motor has the 440 6 pack rods so I don't plan to change them out. The CR will be 10.25 : 1 and will be using a Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft. A little more cam than the original but still has the 70's rumble sound for that period. The block has already been magna-fluxed and checked for cracks and is a still a STD bore but will bore to 30 over to clean up the cylinders. The mains have also been lined bored and was told that they were pretty straight and didn't need much. Getting pumped to get this one back on the road. Looking for a rotisserie now to do all the body work.

As I mentioned the PO put a 360 in it and a 727 auto tranny but left the brake and clutch assembly still in it. The 4 speed with the Pistol Grip shifter is in the trunk and a 69 440 HP on an engine stand but has a 4V carb because it was too hard to tune the deuces. I'll save that motor for a backup. :)

Awesome. Photos are in order when you have a chance. From memory those cams a slightly larger than a mopar purple cam shaft. Should work well and be easy to live with.

Awesome. Photos are in order when you have a chance. From memory those cams a slightly larger than a mopar purple cam shaft. Should work well and be easy to live with.
Will do when I can get pics of the motor. These came in today about an hour ago. They are a pair of outboard carbs, I have the complete set now.

outboard.JPG

Enjoying this thread!

I'm a big Mopar fan and I was lucky to test drive a couple last year for a friend.

vwsen6.jpg

wtfsy.jpg

:goodpost:

:thankyouyellow:

Paul

Enjoying this thread!

I'm a big Mopar fan and I was lucky to test drive a couple last year for a friend.

vwsen6.jpg

wtfsy.jpg

:goodpost:

So how was that 440? those cars look really nice.

:thankyouyellow:

Paul
So how was that 440? those cars look really nice.

The GTX 440 4V Auto. had amazing torque in stock form. It was so easy to break the tires loose even when rolling 20mph!

The RRunner 383 4V had great power as well. It was backed up by a four speed manual that was mixed by one of those

pistol-grip shifters that was so sloppy I couldn't find the gears and that kinda ruined the experience.

Those were great cars though very clean originals and real head-turners!

I'm thankful to have driven them both!

Paul

Thx Guys,

Yeah this is a whole new learning process as locating the period correct parts are hard to find. I am shooting to do this is less than 2 yrs once I have the car in my garage. The AZ sun has been good to the metal but rough on the soft parts. I already bought a dash insert for the passenger side. Had a steering wheel but that fell through. Couple of pics of the interior.

100_0142.JPG

100_0140.JPG

100_0141.JPG

A lot of Aussie cars get baked like this. Every rubber all the plastic any where in the car just goes hard and falls to pieces. Interiors the same even the seat foam seems to cook and go hard and then just turns into yellow dust every time you touch it. Really enjoying this thread. I think all car guys have a interest in Mopar muscle. Love em or Hate they are always respected.

Back