My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car was made in Canada so it used parts produced there so with the air cleaner I searched for one that would match for example. The decal was wrong so I changed it to the correct one, should be 440 Six Pack vice the Magnum 440 Six Pack in the previous pic I posted. Never done a car with this detail so I thought I'd give it a try.

thx
I wondered about why it was SIX PACK and not the typical (for Plymouth) SIX BARREL. So Canadian three carb cars were all SIX PACKs? Too many details for my head.

If you can't get anywhere on the stamps I can try to get the question in to Galen. He helped me find a SIX BARREL set up for my Wife's '70 440 Cuda engine. I don't really know him but he is a good friend of one of my friends.
I would appreciate that. I sent mail to Galen but no response yet and I am running into a brick wall right now trying to find that info.

thx

Got the 440-6 HP dual point Prestolite distributor. Not looking forward to going back to points, hopefully it works ok. Must admit that these parts are quite heavy and they did not worry about weight savings back then.

Was also researching the timing that was used on this motor and it is supposed to be 5* BTDC which seems quite low, my mustang is using 14*. The 440 4V is TDC which is odd to me. Anyone know if this is really what they used? The idle for the 6 Pack is also listed as 900 rpm which seems quite high to me.

dizzy.JPG

dizzy1.JPG

I think its 5 degrees with out vacuum connected so around 13-15 degrees connected. That's from all my experience with exactly 1 440 6pack that was owned by a friend of a friend lol. so you would probably want to cross check that info.

Had the Dana 60 shipped to me and picked it up today. The previous owner put a different rear in but since its not currently on the car I have it now so that I can go over it and get it ready for the rebuild. Going to replace brake lines, rebuild the brakes and strip off the paint and reshoot it. Then put it in storage until it's ready to go back on where it belongs. Not a very good pic. I'll have the complete 440 in Feb sometime. It's at the machine shop having all the work done and then assembly. They are going to shoot a break-in video and I'll post once I have it.

BTW the car has only a little over 35,000 miles on it.

4.10 Dana 60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the thermal fan clutch and the 18 1/2 " 7 bladed fan that came with the car. I ordered the correct stamps for the pieces and will get them all cleaned up and store them away until I start putting it back together again.

On a side note because of the 4.10 rear I am considering using a GV to make it more freeway friendly. I did find a replacement tranny that uses the same A833 case but has the overdrive in it. It is a 5 speed and is a direct replacement for the 4 speed and looks exactly the same and ships with the Hurst 5 speed shifter that accepts the pistol grip shifter.. In overdrive it is .70 and would make the rear quivalent to 2.87 in OD. Here is that tranny:

http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_5-Speed_Flyer_2010-11-18.pdf

There is a 12 month wait for it right now because of demand but if I order it it would be ready by the time I got the car done. Got to think about this some more.

Pics of the fan parts that I got.

CIMG7704.JPG

CIMG7702.JPG

There are a few guys running that box here in Aus with good result. Very popular with the people that have turboed cars
Are you familiar with their Hemi conversion kit? Looks like they just swap out the internals and 4th becomes the OD. It a much more economical way to go and you keep the original case so its still numbers matching. With the 4.10 it will turn 2550 RPM at 65 MPH.

These passon conversions pretty good,I know of 1 that is behind a 505 wedge in a 69 charger it has held to the torque for about 2yrs now and another on a boosted 360 stroker in a VF valiant

Yes I believe the hemi conversion replaces all the internals then just turns 4th into OD so your 4.11s would effectively be 3.23s there was a write up in hot rod awhile back they said good things and the new internals look good.

I suppose it comes down to time and budget. If you have time I would go for the 5 speed personally but that's just me.

These passon conversions pretty good,I know of 1 that is behind a 505 wedge in a 69 charger it has held to the torque for about 2yrs now and another on a boosted 360 stroker in a VF valiant

Yes I believe the hemi conversion replaces all the internals then just turns 4th into OD so your 4.11s would effectively be 3.23s there was a write up in hot rod awhile back they said good things and the new internals look good.

I suppose it comes down to time and budget. If you have time I would go for the 5 speed personally but that's just me.
I won't be ready for it for about a year or so and I sort of like the idea of a 5 speed too. I have already sent them mail to see how much of a deposit I need to put down to get my place on the list. When I factor the cost of the GV and a rebuild of the 4 speed if it needs it I am at the cost of this new gear box anyway. Thx for the help.

Passon Performance is not taking deposits yet and have a 12 to 18 month waiting list at this time. Since there are no mods needed for this I can just install the A-833 for the time being and replace with the A-855 when they are available.

Sounds good. Big wait list hope that that's an endorsement in its self.

There is an A833 5 speed out of trucks and A bodies but it has a small input shaft so not ideal for big blocks and to much mucking around for you. They are getting popular here on all our 318 360 cars but the Passon performance option seems way better and looks correct for your build.

Sounds good. Big wait list hope that that's an endorsement in its self.

There is an A833 5 speed out of trucks and A bodies but it has a small input shaft so not ideal for big blocks and to much mucking around for you. They are getting popular here on all our 318 360 cars but the Passon performance option seems way better and looks correct for your build.
I got on their waiting list today so hopefully this time next year I will have the parts and hope to be putting it back together then. Thx for all the help and suggestions.

Some of the 440 parts are beginning to come back from the Machine shop now. Short block should be done by next week. Block was bored 30 over and cleaned up nicely. More to come.

440 pistons.png

balancer 1.png

block.png

Crank 1.png

HP rod.png

I was able to locate a repro Distributor Data tag that I am missing and it will have the correct PN, assembly line code and build date (25th week of 1970). It will look like the attached pic.

DSC02050.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back