need 429/460 help please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodyjaws

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hello all. I'm thinking of buying a 429/460 and need help decoding some numbers.

The intake says DOVE-9425-BF4-0823

The heads are DOVE-C DIFF 003

The block has DOVE-A

He said he couldn't find any numbers on the crank. It's apart at the moment and he doesn't want much ($300) but it's a long drive from where I am. Can anyone shed any light on what the engine might be? What little I can come up with is that it might be from a 70 tbird or torino. Thanks, Chris

It's a 1970 block. The 429 and 460 were essentially the same, just the crank had a longer stroke which accounts for the displacement difference. Go to www.429-460.com and there is a ton of good info on the big blocks.

ETA: Here is a post that I put on that website a while back, asking about my 429: http://www.429-460.com/t10724-429-thunder-jet

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. That was about all I could find on my own as well. The intake is a 4bbl, it had steel valve covers (by the picture). From what I can figure, the DOVE-A is one of the best blocks to start with and the DOVE-C's are pretty good heads. That's as far as I can go. I'm hoping to get stuff like the build dates and such. Thanks, Chris

the 460 had shorter pistons. regardless, you'll need to get new pistons so count that out. 429/460 use the same rods. and BTW ford racing 521 uses the same rods too.

I can't remember the specifics, but the D0VE-A designation is the casting number. There should be a partial VIN on the rear of the block and you could get a Marti report on it to find out everything about it. If it came out of a T-bird it is almost certainly a Thunder Jet which is the base 429. If it came out of a Torino it may be a Cobra Jet. The Marti report will tell you, but you could also drop the oil pan and check the for thick webbings and 4 bolt mains (I believe, might be 2 bolt mains), which would be a CJ engine.

I've also heard the D0VE-A blocks and D0VE-C heads are good to be built and can handle a cubic ass-ton of HP and torque.

Well, shoot. Now it looks like I need to scrape together the 300 bucks and borrow Mom's pickup to make a trip. Rats. Of course, I DO like the sound of "429 RAM AIR" better then...."it's a 302" :s

Chris

DOVE heads are very popular. The benifit is they are small chamber volume (75cc) giving high compression easy. They are however small valve, but the casting will accept rework allowing larger valves and screw in studs. Even if you don't use them they are worth the 300.00 Racers love them, but they do require some extensive work for competition.

Here are some numbers:

http://www.raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html

429SCJ engines used D0OE-R heads and 4 bolt main caps.

DOVE heads were ThunderJets.

My 460 is out of a '75 Lincoln. Stock original D1VE bottom end (dished pistons), added mildly ported and rocker studded C9VE heads (basically the same as your D0VE's) with a Lunati Bracket Master bumpstick. Should make a nice, pump gas friendly, steetable ice cream getter when/if I get it installed.

Price for yours sounds right if it's tight IMO.

For comparison, I have a decent .030" D9 short block that I wouldn't let go for less than $400.

Ok, check this out. I was talking to a guy the had advertised a 460 on craigslist. After talking to him, he mentioned that he had a second 460. The machine work is done on #2, crank turned -10, block is 30 over, maybe 60, he can't quite remember. It's sitting in the bag it came from the machine shop in and stored indoors. I just bought them both for.......WAIT FOR IT......$150!!!!!

The first motor is a complete short block, needs tore down. The casting number on it is...D1VE A2B. I don't know the numbers on the second block yet. I have to wait until after my surgery Friday and the recovery to go get them.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve. I wont have pics till I go get 'em. I have pics of the original motor I was getting on my phone. I'll post pics as I get them. I was looking at summit's website and they have a 503 stroker kit that I'm drooling over. I figure I might be able to sell the short block and I'll have the machined block and crank for free.dancebanana

Thanks for the good wishes on the surgery. I destroyed my left knee when I was in the Marines. 20 years later they are going to fix it, then look at my hips and back. The Doc says I should be down 2 weeks, but I'm going to bribe, beg, and threaten so I can go back to work in 1 week.

Talk to you guys in a few days. Chris

Yup, get well soon. Reading your thread kinda makes me want to start looking for a big block. :D
Well if anyone wants to make a real potent pony I have a 472 inch scj that would get you to your destination quickly, with all the best parts available!:D

Thanks Steve. I wont have pics till I go get 'em. I have pics of the original motor I was getting on my phone. I'll post pics as I get them. I was looking at summit's website and they have a 503 stroker kit that I'm drooling over. I figure I might be able to sell the short block and I'll have the machined block and crank for free.dancebanana

Thanks for the good wishes on the surgery. I destroyed my left knee when I was in the Marines. 20 years later they are going to fix it, then look at my hips and back. The Doc says I should be down 2 weeks, but I'm going to bribe, beg, and threaten so I can go back to work in 1 week.

This is about the best deal I have seen for a decent quality stroker kit:

http://www.race-mart.com/Ford_Racing-FMS-M-6013-521.html

DOVE heads are very popular. The benifit is they are small chamber volume (75cc) giving high compression easy. They are however small valve, but the casting will accept rework allowing larger valves and screw in studs. Even if you don't use them they are worth the 300.00 Racers love them, but they do require some extensive work for competition.

Here are some numbers:

http://www.raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html
i will have a set of c9ve's up for sale here shortly. they've been budget ported. they have been rebuilt and was rebuilt with the rest of the motor. if 300 for a old cruddy set, then a workable, used rebuilt head should be at least 600.

don't do it, i have that kit and ford is closing down on their big block program and its going to be very hard to get parts for that down the road. the entire kit is worthless without every piece of the kit. so down the road you need to overbore, you are going to be sending in your piston to get custom made for some big bucks and not to mention the rings too.

This is about the best deal I have seen for a decent quality stroker kit:

http://www.race-mart.com/Ford_Racing-FMS-M-6013-521.html

Last edited:
Back