Need hose and plastic elbow that runs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
From the passenger valve cover to air cleaner housing, does anyone know where i can get rhose parts (plastic elbow that fits on air cleaner housing, i have the valve cover elbow).  Parts houses i check doesnt seem to have them.

Thanks

Thomas

72 Q code with factory ram air

A pic would help me to ID the part.
Right in the middle of the pic, the hose that runs from the valve cover and the black plastic elbow that goes to the little filter on the inside of the air cleaner housing

IMG_0331.JPG

From the passenger valve cover to air cleaner housing, does anyone know where i can get rhose parts (plastic elbow that fits on air cleaner housing, i have the valve cover elbow).  Parts houses i check doesnt seem to have them.

Thanks

Thomas

Make sure you buy the grommet to go with that PCV elbow. Makes sense to change a $3 part while your at it so you only got that elbow out just once.

My elbow was snapped in half and the rubber grommet was so hard i thought someone had fitted a plastic one

The plastic elbow is 384411-S. Agree that most people selling these tend to be a little proud of them. They were selling for a whopping $1.35 before Ford discontinued them. I have a box of them so I would be willing to donate one ........but like anything else I have put up so I can find it later, now I can't find them! There is also a metal retainer (D1AZ-9E628-A) that secures the emissions filter to the inside of the air cleaner housing. The retainer also has two "arms" that clip into the groove on the elbow to provide a secure fitting.

Not sure if anyone is making the proper elbow. I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang to see if they have any of them that need a new home. Maybe one of our forum members that is no running the factory style air cleaner may have one.  Good luck with your search.

384411-s.jpg

9e628.JPG

This is not a very good picture, but the elbow is actually on a 45 degree angle, not a 90 as seems to be the only one available. As for the rubber tube, I made my own, but make sure it is oil proof. If I remember it is 5/8" dia. like a heater hose. The flex pipe from the canister would have been a paper like material with a textured finish. For mine, I used a 3/4" aluminum flex tube (can be found at Napa), texture paint then SEM Trim Black. Looked ok.

Yes, that is it. The hose and elbow to the breather element.

FYI, the aftermarket plastic breather holder does not match the factory one. The factory one has a notch on lt that fits into a corresponding notch on the air cleaner housing, the aftermarket one does not have that notch.

Thanks

Thomas

Here is an original oil breather to air cleaner base hose for a standard 351C or 302ci air cleaner. The hose still has "Motorcraft" faintly printed on it. This hose is 5 1/4" long and 7/8" OD and 5/8" ID. The hose for a Ram Air base is longer, about 7-8" because the oil breather filter hole is positioned far away; close to the snorkel, whereas the standard 351C or 302ci air cleaner base has the breather filter hole on the back side.

I have an extra clip shown in the picture below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, that's a better shot of the elbow. May not be a 45, but not 90 either.

"IF ONLY'. How many times have we all said, "If Only I'd kept this or that or put aside a few dozen of those" Well, back in the 70's 80's I worked a the factory were parts of the Ford air cleaners were made. We made the inlet tubes, vacuum motors and temp sensors along with complete air cleaners for other car manufacturers. I had access to any and all the stupid little parts we can't find today. Now I too need some of these parts. If Only!!

Geoff.

Geoff,

Yep... If only I kept that or bought a dozen of them back when. I have said that for just about everything on the car. Those original air cleaner Bi-metal temp sensors are hard to find these days.

Back