Need more arm and leg room

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could modify the clutch pedal so the pad sits further out. The pedal may look to far up but it will be practical.
  Yeah Tony, that has been mentioned before, someone posted a pic of a wooden block attached to the pedals!!!. Then the problem is the gas pedal, not sure what could be done about that. I get jokes like "put blocks on your pedals" all the time, so it's old hat to me now.

I did modify the clutch pedal stop so it comes up as far as possible, then adjusted the linkage to achieve the highest clutch release position, but......

I know, it sucks to be short!! 

Thanks for your suggestion though my friend.

Geoff.
Geoff, just get some 70’s style platform shoes and you will be all set, lol
 Damn, why didn't I think of that!!! 

Sorry for the delay getting back, I've been away in Fl.

Hi To All,

Thought i would jump in on this one. When you look at the seats set up for the 1,2,3 Mustangs back in those days, it was very crude and basic. For example, the seat travel forward and backwards did not really cater for tall guys, and as far as going all the way back, still did not provide enough leg room. The seat upright did not have any adjustment to it, which would have made a big difference to overall comfort. Tilt steering helped to some degree, but was not the full answer. Also, the seats did not offer any height or tilt adjustments to them. This would have helped as well to overall driving comfort. Electric/ power seats were available in the Cougar range as options i believe but not for 1,2,3 Mustangs. I don't know if the Cougar power seat tracks offered enough back slide travel, tilt travel, or up and down travel.

In any case, i am not a tall guy, but in my '73 Convertible, i found the back slide travel not enough when fully set back as far as it could go. I got around this problem very successfully by buying a set of seat frame extensions that bolt on easily to my existing seat frame legs. Year one  Company in America sells them for a modest price. I installed them and they solved my leg room problem. These track extenders will  solve leg room issues mainly, but if you have height or seat upright, tilting forward or backward issues, you may have to upgrade your front seating to more modern seats that offer all these adjustments.

Lastly, a few years ago, i invented and installed a footrest for our 1,2,3 Mustangs. This footrest has provided me with extra driving comfort and control, and has made a world of difference to my overall driving experience. I mentioned it here in this topic, because it may provide help in relation to finding a better seat setup experience. It certainly did for me. Here is a link to my old post on this subject.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-invents-a-footrest-for-71-73-mustangs?highlight=foot+rest

Here is a link to the extension brackets product for sale.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/PartSearchResult/SB246/

Hope that helps.

Greg. :)

Hey Greg,

Curious, how did the extension brackets mount up to the rear holes?  Or did you simply shim the rear to account for the space?  I just can't envision the brackets doing anything on the rear mounts, since they are perpendicular on the seat platform.

Hi To All,

Thought i would jump in on this one. When you look at the seats set up for the 1,2,3 Mustangs back in those days, it was very crude and basic. For example, the seat travel forward and backwards did not really cater for tall guys, and as far as going all the way back, still did not provide enough leg room. The seat upright did not have any adjustment to it, which would have made a big difference to overall comfort. Tilt steering helped to some degree, but was not the full answer. Also, the seats did not offer any height or tilt adjustments to them. This would have helped as well to overall driving comfort. Electric/ power seats were available in the Cougar range as options i believe but not for 1,2,3 Mustangs. I don't know if the Cougar power seat tracks offered enough back slide travel, tilt travel, or up and down travel.

In any case, i am not a tall guy, but in my '73 Convertible, i found the back slide travel not enough when fully set back as far as it could go. I got around this problem very successfully by buying a set of seat frame extensions that bolt on easily to my existing seat frame legs. Year one  Company in America sells them for a modest price. I installed them and they solved my leg room problem. These track extenders will  solve leg room issues mainly, but if you have height or seat upright, tilting forward or backward issues, you may have to upgrade your front seating to more modern seats that offer all these adjustments.

Lastly, a few years ago, i invented and installed a footrest for our 1,2,3 Mustangs. This footrest has provided me with extra driving comfort and control, and has made a world of difference to my overall driving experience. I mentioned it here in this topic, because it may provide help in relation to finding a better seat setup experience. It certainly did for me. Here is a link to my old post on this subject.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-invents-a-footrest-for-71-73-mustangs?highlight=foot+rest

Here is a link to the extension brackets product for sale.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/PartSearchResult/SB246/

Hope that helps.

Greg. :)

Hey Greg,

Curious, how did the extension brackets mount up to the rear holes?  Or did you simply shim the rear to account for the space?  I just can't envision the brackets doing anything on the rear mounts, since they are perpendicular on the seat platform.
Thanks Greg and I have the same question about the rear bolts as they go in differently and I’d see a need for some kind of spacer as Jason mentioned. maybe a pic of how you managed that part?

i know a lot of racers and fabricators and no one will mess with that back bolt unless there is an “intimate contact” method like welding an extension and then there’s the carpet to deal with. So any extra info is greatly appreciated!!

These would have to fit between the seat and the tracks, not between the tracks and the floor, on our cars. All it would take is $15 of hot rolled flat steel bar to make your own. 4 pieces, 2"x3.5"x 5/16".

These would have to fit between the seat and the tracks, not between the tracks and the floor, on our cars. All it would take is $15 of hot rolled flat steel bar to make your own. 4 pieces, 2"x3.5"x 5/16".
Ahhhh ok now I see it and I never thought about it that way just the connection to the floor. Thanks Don for your insight!!!

Back