Need some advices - new wheels for my 72 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mezapu,

What size wheel & tire are you running out back?
15x10 w 6.5" backspace, 295/50/15's. Some hammering required on the inner fenders and its a pretty tight fit. I had the wheels custom made by Specialtywheels.com. They even gave me a military discount.

I used to have the same size Weld Pro Stars on it.

Save0033.jpg

Mach1016.jpg

And here is one when I had 15x7's on the front and 15x8's on the rear. Back in like 1998 I think.

NewarkinUK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mezapu,

I have 14x8 and 15x10 and have been trying to figure out how wide would work and look good. The guy at the tire store suggested 235 on my 15x10 but it thought they might look skinny. I think your 295 are more what I'm looking for.

The hot ticket used to be a 275/50/15's on a 15x8 on the rear, but nobody makes them anymore. You can only get them anymore in drag radials. Then 225/60/15's on the front to match the profile height.

What is the backspace on your 15x10? Its a tight fit so you gotta measure everything before you go spending the coin. A 235 is fine on the 8" front wheel, but will look like a lowrider tire stretched over a 10" rim. A 255/60 is as tall as I'd go on the rear without going to a 50 series tire. I see many people try 275/60's and IMO it looks goofy, almost like a truck tire because its too tall.

My brother had Centerlines on his 73 Mach 1 with 295/*0/15 tires on the rear, but you have to get the correct offset.

The front was 235/60/15.

EPSON097.JPG

I asked him about it recently but he doesn't recall the offset.

You will need to change the gear on the speedometer cable.

I am very biased on this subject, Magnum 500s look the best. These will fit front and rear, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-54-5712044/ As far as I know a 245x60x15, on a 15x7 rim with 4.25 inch back spacing, is the largest 15 inch tire that will clear in the front. A 275x60x15 will clear in the rear using a 15x8 rim with a 4.5-4.75 back spacing. All 4 rims and tires being the same size will permit tire rotation. Chuck

Im a bit bias too...I like the magnum 500's cause they did come on a mustang stock...But these are my fav's..Not everyones fav thats for sure..But i like the classic look..lol

Being of the Polish heritage, I tend to do things backwards. For example, I am picking my tires first, then getting wheels to match.

1. How BIG do you want the OUTSIDE DIAMETER of your tires to be in the front? How Big for the rear?

2. How WIDE do you want the back tires to be?

3. How WIDE do you want the front tires to be?

4. Do you want the outside edge of the front and rear tires to line up, or do you want the rear tires sticking out so you have to park 4" from the curb? This will help you choose your offset.

5. Regarding where the rubber meets the road:

Do you care who manufactures the rubber?

Do you care about the tire pattern?

6. Are you going to ever add bigger brakes to the front, or maybe discs to the back? If so, then you will want 17" wheels at a minimum, because the 15" won't fit over a bigger rotor and caliper.

Once you figure these things out, select your tires in the 14, 15, 16, 17 diameter wheel sizes. Then find a wheel that matches your tire selection and offset.

14 & 15 inch wheels have few choices regarding tire sizes, with the exception of Goodrich. Other user can chime in. From what I understand, Goodrich makes a great tire....But, if you want a REAL selection of tires and sizes, you will have to go 16, 17, 18...and watch the costs get out of control. Especially if you like these Newgenz & Schott wheels:

3zr44.jpg
2ufgca1.jpg

Serious coin.

Im a bit bias too...I like the magnum 500's cause they did come on a mustang stock...But these are my fav's..Not everyones fav thats for sure..But i like the classic look..lol
I want that red mustang emblem for my caps...

I would have to go with the 500s myself, however, there are a lot of great looks for rims and I have been fighting the good fight from what is factory to what will simply look great too me, and I hope you put alot of thought into it and let us know brother

I'm biased too as I really like this style. The Mag 500's look great but they are pretty common too. These were only offered on the 73's as an option.

DSCF9277.jpg

Back