Need some serious help - What to do ? Mustang Grande 72

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys, I was advised to do this so... :)

Here's what I have right now :

72 Mustang Grande with 2V 351 Cleveland.

Autolite 2100 carburetor with no kick down link (there's a"vacuum link" only ? Dunno if it's the right word but it's the only link between the carb and the AT)

C4 automatic transmission

I thought in the first place I had a 4V 351C Cobra Jet. That's what the car VIN says (Q code Cleveland), but it appears it's a 2V due to previous owners who I guess changed the engine.

Here's what I'm waiting to receive/I just received :

Because I thought I had a 4V Cleveland, I ordered the following parts :

Ford 4V intake manifold that looks like this :

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/798_13_08_11_2_22_07.jpeg

Old but working Holley 600 CFM square bore carb 1850-3 :

http://193.164.196.40/images/988/9880318114.jpg

http://193.164.196.60/images/986/9863271476.jpg

http://193.164.196.30/images/987/9871794795.jpg

It appears that the carb dimensions correspond to the intake manifold one (without needing an adaptator seal), so that's a great point (we measured).

Same for primaries and secondaries :

Intake primaries width : 40 mm

Intake secondaries width : 50 mm

Carburetor primaries AND secondaries width : 39 mm

So it should match in every point.

Problem is I have a 351C 2V engine... so the intake I just received should not match with the engine ?? I didn't "try" because I'm waiting for the carb to be shipped, and I also have to order some matching intake gaskets.

Someone from this forum told me that Edelbrock sell a special 4V intake manifold that allows you to put on a 2V Cleveland. Is this something I have to buy and use instead of my actual 4V intake that won't work ?

Questions are :

Is it possible to use a 4 barrels carb on a 2V engine ?

Am I forced to buy this Edelbrock special intake (4V intake for 2V engine) ?

What with the kickdown ?? Should I order a kickdown bracket ? Which ?

I currently have no kick down linkage from my Autolite 2V carb to the C4 transmission as I mentionned previously...

Here's what I want to do with this :

I want to get a bit more HP. It currently runs great with the Autolite carb but lacks a bit of punch when I need "more".

I use the car as a weekend car but I want it to run great though. No race, no dragster. I don't really mind about gas mileage in a certain limit.

What do you think of all that ? Is it a good idea to have a 4 barrel carb on a 2V Cleveland ? New intake to buy or it won't work ? What with the kick down ? Why I don't have that kick down thing right now in my engine ?

Beware that :

I'm in France so it's a bit of a mess to order parts here and there (really expensive shipping if I order from too much different stores).

Anyway I'm going to Montreal, CANADA on august 29 and stay there until september 16, now do you know great Mustang/Performance parts shops around Montreal ?

Thanks a lot, you guys rules :exclamation:
Hello, hope this helps you. 351 2v came with low compression heads smaller valves and a 2 barrel carb....a basic ok engine. You can run a 4 barrel carb with the 2v heads, suggest junkyard purchase, but edlebrock makes a nice manifold for which you can get a squarebore 4bbl just about anywhere. Dont get a huge cfm carb, no bigger than a 750 cfm and that is a bit too much if you have a standard cam setup. Eddlebrock and holley sell the attachment brackets for kickdown cables (which they sell seperately) and accelerator cable attachment.... they sell on line so being in France is just added shipping.

Thanks everyone for helping me out, this forum rules :)

Shipping to Europe is expensive and we have to pay for VAT when the package goes through customs. And of course big items = big packages = big shipping price (UPS/FEDEX).

It appears that a lots of 351 2V users have no kick down link, I don't have one on my Autolite carb and it seems to work good. Why ? Remember I have the C4 transmission.

The kick down has nothing to do with the operation of the carburetor. Kick down is the same thing as changing to a lower gear with a manual transmission when you want to accelerate rapidly. When you fully open the throttle on the carburetor a lever on the carb pushes on a tubular rod that in turn pushes on a lever on the transmission which causes the transmission to change from third gear to second gear, as an example. You can do the same thing by manually moving the shifter with your hand. Coordinating your right foot and your right hand properly is a little tricky at first. Manual operation also requires you to manually up shift at the proper time. Good Luck, Chuck

c9zx is correct. Not having the kick down will keep the car from 'automatically' shifting to a lower gear when you press the gas down all, or almost all, of the way. It also means that when you are in D and press down all of the way on the gas from a stop that it won't 'hold' each gear as long as it would with a kick down. So when having fun you shift gears yourself and when you want.

If you have a kick down, have it floored and go for a 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 shift manually it may stay in gear even after you have shifted.

If you put it in 'D' and drive 'normally' you will notice no difference in operation of the transmission.

yeah I don't have the kick down either but that is because my quick fuel carb won't accept it I have to buy a kit from lokar to put it in. But with my mega shifter dropping down a gear is a breeze.

Back