Neutral safety switch ( can you adjust?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogoz23

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hey guys , well I had my transmission resealed, and now the car will not start while it's on park , but if I move the shifter in the in Between park and reverse it will start, also the reverse lights come on in Between drive and reverse ... Now when in in between I don't mean the shift indicator in the shifter, I mean actually in between gears ... Is there a way to adjust this switch ? Could it have gone bad Just by removing the transmission and putting it back in? Thank you guys... It's a 73 with a c6

Yea I read them but couldn't find on how to adjust , just says you need a #43 drill bit

With the transmission manual lever in neutral, insert a #43 drill bit in this hole and slowly move the switch. When the drill bit sinks into the hole, you’ve achieved proper adjustment. Tighten the bolts with the drill bit in the hole. Check for proper operation in all gears. Engine should not start in R, D, or forward drive ranges. It should start only in Park and Neutral, and back-up lights should illuminate in reverse.

You can also adjust using an ohm meter. You should have continuity between the two red-light blue stripped wires when the selector is in park and neutral.

Great , now do I have to disconnect anything from the switch , or I can leave everything in place

Great , now do I have to disconnect anything from the switch , or I can leave everything in place
If you do it by the first method you don't need to disconnect anything. You just need to loosen the bolts on the NSS so that you can rotate it till the drill bit fits into the hole. A regular paper clip should work in place of the drill bit too. When you get under the car you will see the hole in the switch.

Edit: added pic to show hole location

troubleshoot-neutral-safety-switches-d2zz-c-plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think I got it ,this link is for an f150 , let me know if the basics are the same. Maybe it can help someone else

I'm guessing the only difference is that I would have to insert a #43 drill bit before turning left or right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys thank you so much , that fixed the issue , my switch for some reason,the paper clip did not go in Further as I rotated the switch , but I kept rotating the switch till it cranked on parked .

Back