New Chrome Wheels on Order!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-141-7865C0/

I ordered up m Street or Track front and rear cobra brake kit and made sure i purchased rims that i could now and use when i install the brakes. the MAIN reason why i am no longer going with www.vintagevenom.com kit and the requirement to use drum spindles even thought i have them (up for sale by the way). i just had to make sure i have a 4.5BS 0offset and measure when i get the wheels for spoke to mounting pad clearance. its becomes a very small issue when the brakes are installed then a small 1/4 spacer isn't a problem but it should work.

I ordered these in 17x8's in the front and 17x9's in the rear. i would of like to get 10-11wide for the back but i wanted to stay in the reasonable cost range instead of spending 300 on american racing wheels each. i wanted to keep my 28 inch tire dia (275/60/15) but it jst ain't going to happen with 17's. the closest i can get is a 27.1 buts only a 255/50/17 and is barely 10 inches of thread width. but i will most likely stay with the 275/40/17 or 285/40/17's and that'll be 25.7 & 25.95. i'm losing 2 inches of tire diameter so i'm most likely going to have to change m 21 tooth speed gear to a 20th tooth. its probably going to allow me to cruise at 70mph at a better effieicnt engine speed. i'm speeding 2100rpms going 70mph now and that's going to jump to about 2300rpms. my powerband is 1800-6000rpms, so probably being 500rpms past the beginning of the powerband cruising is better than 300rpms. i wish compcams listed a recommend cruise speed rpms like how another company does.

with the front i want to stay as small as possible but still be in the recommended rim width for the size. i want the front wheels to be about 1/2 inch to 1 inch smaller than the fronts. the smaller tires in front do help out a little bit when it comes to tight turning and i just don't like the look of HUGE tires and rims in the front. so i'm thinking more of a 225/45/17 which is 25.0 dia or a 235/45/17 which is 25.28 dia. both of those sizes is getting on the range where an 8 wide is getting to the larger range of the recommend width. but the rear i'll be at the minimum wheel width at 9 inches.

i'm probably going to relax for 1 week after getting these and order these tires from the base gas station. they can get any tires within a day and i like how they charge only 17 dollars for mounting/balancing/and road hazard all in one smaller price. and of course have a friend help me install them on the car while i can't lift anything.

cheers everybody!!!

Sounds good, man! Keep us posted!! :D

Let us know how they fit. I've always wanted to go with a 17 inch wheel to maximize cornering potential. Also, do you have a Tremec or overdrive to keep your rpm's so low. I'm taching aout 3,500 at 75mph with the 3.50 and FMX auto.

Olie

Are your Magnums 15"? and do you want to get rid of them?
yes but they r rusted!
Hey Olie, how'd the surgery go? Good luck with the rehab!
the surgery went ok, the doctor couldn't do the primary repair because the tendon was badly scarred. he did some other repair but when he was talking to me i had just woken up from the drugs to put me out.

rehab starts in two weeks.

Let us know how they fit. I've always wanted to go with a 17 inch wheel to maximize cornering potential. Also, do you have a Tremec or overdrive to keep your rpm's so low. I'm taching aout 3,500 at 75mph with the 3.50 and FMX auto.
i'm gonna post up how they go with the 40 series tires handle on the road when i get them on. i'm going to take a week off even thinking about the mustang right now until i get tires.

and yes i have a TKO600. right now i'm running about 2100rpms with a 28 dia tire and a 3.89 gear (equal to a 2.60 gear in a .67OD). when i go with the 25.7 tires my rpms is going to jump to about 2300rpms going 70mph. my first gear is going to be a little bit more unusable but we'll find out. with the 28 dia tire the first gear is about a 20-25mph shift before 2nd hits, with the 25.7 tire its prolly going to be down to a 15-20mph shift like a regular car.

Last edited:
Hey Olie, now that you have tires on your Mustang and it's on the floor, have you run into any fitment problems? The reason I ask is I want to run 17x8's on my 'stang but I got worried about the upper control arms after reading luxstang's post.
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-wheel-fitment-test-today-tires-ordered

in the front there is absolutely no problem with a 17x8 with a 4.5BS some are even running on the smaller mustangs with a 4.75BS for fender to wheel clearance.

and in the rear, there is plenty more room to grow inwards and a little bit more outwards!!!

Hey Olie, now that you have tires on your Mustang and it's on the floor, have you run into any fitment problems? The reason I ask is I want to run 17x8's on my 'stang but I got worried about the upper control arms after reading luxstang's post.
after reading some of this further, i am thinking you are concerned about the left turn rubbing issue. this mostly only happens when you are lowered about 1-2 inches or so. i had this issue when is installed 65-66 mustang 1 inch lower kit (it was an accident laurel mountain mustang went me the wrong springs) and it lowered my mustang 3.5 inches and the fender lip was lower than the tire. it looked very aggressive and i had 235/60/15's in the front. it only rubbed EVER SO SLIGHTLY on hard left turns and it really only rubs on the steering box bolts.

i've heard of other's putting 245/45/17s on with 4.5BS (25.7 dia tire) and it rub slightly. now that is WHY i went with 1 smaller tire size that is 1/2 inch shorter and hopefully will miss when i turn hard to the left. right now i'm stock right height and there isn't any issues. i will find out when i install my different different Mustang Plus coil springs insualtor a ((they have 1 inch thick and 1/4 thick) to lower it and cut a partial coil to lower it another 1/2 inch of so. we'll see then if it rubs then, but i don't think it will due to my smaller than factory DIAMETER tire 235-45-17.

i do however need to be careful how much i lower the front because when i get out of my driveway and into the street the front spoiler is already almost touching when you back out straight. so i will have to do the RICER thing and go onto my driveway sideways to avoid scraping.

hope this helps, PM me if anything!

Last edited:
It helps a lot! I'm going to need to get the car down here (another couple weeks) and do some measurements. My dad had to put a new suspension in front because of the big block; I don't think he lowered it, but I'm not positive and I don't want to buy wheels that won't fit.

Glad your surgery went as well as expected, but it sucks the dr. couldn't fix everything. :(

Latest posts

Back