New Daily Driver

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DragonKnight

As much as I enjoy the frugal gas economy of my soon-to-be-former-daily-driver 1995 Hyundai S-Coupe, 92 horsepower with manual windows and steering with dying bumpers just wasn't doing it for me. That and my commute is less than 3 miles one way. So I decided to go back to my roots and get a car very similar to my very first car (1983 Toyota Celica GT).

1985 Toyota Celica-Supra P-Type, 5-speed

neccbq.jpg

Barely any rust on it (just a tiny patch on the hatch and some on the sunroof) and an engine with 190psi on all 6 cylinders. It felt good driving it back home. Going to make sure it can handle the rigors of an autocross and planning on checking out and hopefully competing in the autocross scene in Packwood and Bremerton. :)

Rich

Daily driver + auto x usually = uh oh.

I'd keep that trusty Hyundai just in case. I had a 91 supra that would blow head gaskets every 15k miles. I think the 7mgte was born to die like that. But when it ran it was a blast. That little car weighed over 4,200 lbs and at a local speedway track day 130mph felt stable as 30mph. Fun fact though with those old yodas is you can dismantle the car with 4 wrench sizes.

Good luck with it and post up some videos of those auto x track days.

Lol, I'll admit I've been pretty lucky using my daily drivers as auto-x cars (1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD, 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S). Famous last words though, especially with a much older car. *knock on wood* :p

Luckily my gf can give me a ride to work if needed and down the line I plan on buying a bike (less than 3 miles from work = great exercise opportunity). My Supra has a 5mge so hopefully the lack of boost will prevent any premature blown head gaskets. I'm not exactly looking for balls out power on this car. That's what the Mach 1 is for. ;)

As for vids, hopefully I'll get some of the Supra. First things first, I need to eventually post up pics of my slow winter progress of the Mach 1. :)

Rich

I'd keep that trusty Hyundai just in case. I had a 91 supra that would blow head gaskets every 15k miles. I think the 7mgte was born to die like that. But when it ran it was a blast. That little car weighed over 4,200 lbs and at a local speedway track day 130mph felt stable as 30mph. Fun fact though with those old yodas is you can dismantle the car with 4 wrench sizes.

Supra is that heavy?

Supra is that heavy?
The MKIII was a pig of a car. The MKIV was a lot better (I think 3300lbs or so?). The MKII I have tops out at 3000lbs. :)

Rich

Cool car. I've never had the opportunity to own one but always liked them.
Thanks, Don! They're not the fastest, but they're solid...and usually reliable. *knock on wood* :D

Rich

Last edited:
Back