New from Colorado!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is a clean, no rust, all original car then $6300 is a steal especially with a Q in the VIN and 4 on the floor. I personally think it's worth more and am not sure why everyone still has the belief that these cars are not worth much. A rust free car for $3000??? Really guys? How much do you think it will cost to repair a rusty cowl and floorboards vs buying one that needs no repair?

I want to see the prices go higher across the board for our cars because it helps all of us when the 71-73 prices climb upward. But if you really think prices are that low offer me your cars for those $2k and $3k prices and I'll flip them for a profit. ;)

Takers anyone?

I purchased my southern Arizona completely rust free, never wrecked 1973 H code for $6,000 with a 1971 running Grande parts car. The Grande is just that - a parts car. My Mach 1 did not run and was minus the transmission and radiator (hince the parts car). The interior needs a new headliner and a new carpet but is otherwise complete and not tattered.

That is real world rust free pricing.

I purchased my southern Arizona completely rust free, never wrecked 1973 H code for $6,000 with a 1971 running Grande parts car. The Grande is just that - a parts car. My Mach 1 did not run and was minus the transmission and radiator (hince the parts car). The interior needs a new headliner and a new carpet but is otherwise complete and not tattered.

That is real world rust free pricing.
Thank you Steven Harris. This is closer to what I expected when I first started researching this car. Some of the key elements of this car are the current owner being the 2nd owner. I'm basing a lot of my discussion/actions on "his word" and he's always been straight with me. I've been told repeatedly, the car has never been wrecked, never even been damaged, and I've seen first-hand the condition of the tin. I've been told, and related to you all, why the car is apart and I believe the owner. He says he has all the necessary equipment to bring the car to drivable condition in less than a week. I have, in fact, urged him to clean up and reassemble the car to show prospective buyers the car runs, drives, and to give them a better idea of the overall condition of the car.

Now for the bad news! I finally had the owner give me his final "lowest acceptable" number. Wow! Unfortunately, I've also been asked not to divulge that number while the car is going through this initial round of discussion, advertisement, etc. NOT trying to pull any quick ones here, I'm just following through on the owner's wishes.

I've sold a lot of cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, etc., including quite a few for a number of my friends. Sold on eBay, Craigslist, local advertising, word of mouth, etc., and people will tell you I try to be straightforward and painfully honest. To that end I've told the owner I think he's really high on his pricing...but, IT IS his car and I am only working on the sale of the car, given that I WON'T buy it at his price. So, I'm not competing with anyone with an interest in this car and I'm not going to be a factor in the price of the car.

If you want to see it in it's current eBay listing, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mach-I-/190851852686?_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true here it is.

Sad to hear that it doesn't seem like you'll be picking this one up! Hopefully it doesn't dissuade you from finding a 71-73 of your very own and joining the crew!

It definitely looks to be a nice and solid car. I would agree with your "wow" comment in it's context. His car - his prerogative. It appears that he is going for the "barn find" look to help sell but I am not sure that will help in this case. We will soon know. Although it is a nice car it does not have some of the optional criteria to attract big money. In it's favor it is a Q code and a 4 speed.

I wanted to try and clarify my previous comments and why I am cautious on placing value:

I have learned the more you give for anything - the more you take for granted of the total item is usable. Ok - still confusing. To try again - If you can buy something at the right price for you, and if nothing needs any attention you win big. (Got a good deal.) But the entire process of determining the condition is about how much you want to gamble. I have bought plenty thinking how nice it looked and ended up with buyer's remorse as I started peeling away to find all the hidden problems.

About the referenced car:

After further examination using the pictures listed on ebay - I do find this car in remarkably nice original condition.

If I was a serious buyer, I might go as high as 5k on ebay. I really don't expect it to go much above 5k.

My gut is telling me the owner is looking for somewhere near the 7500- 8000 range. Maybe higher --- OUCH.

Of course I am guessing but I really don't see the car getting there in it's current configuration. But if the owner were to reassemble, get it running and do some minor detailing, I think it might go for low teens. Again just my best guess/opinion.

BTW I really like the 15" wheels, caps and rings!

Ray

I wanted to try and clarify my previous comments and why I am cautious on placing value:

I have learned the more you give for anything - the more you take for granted of the total item is usable. Ok - still confusing. To try again - If you can buy something at the right price for you, and if nothing needs any attention you win big. (Got a good deal.) But the entire process of determining the condition is about how much you want to gamble. I have bought plenty thinking how nice it looked and ended up with buyer's remorse as I started peeling away to find all the hidden problems.

About the referenced car:

After further examination using the pictures listed on ebay - I do find this car in remarkably nice original condition.

If I was a serious buyer, I might go as high as 5k on ebay. I really don't expect it to go much above 5k.

My gut is telling me the owner is looking for somewhere near the 7500- 8000 range. Maybe higher --- OUCH.

Of course I am guessing but I really don't see the car getting there in it's current configuration. But if the owner were to reassemble, get it running and do some minor detailing, I think it might go for low teens. Again just my best guess/opinion.

BTW I really like the 15" wheels, caps and rings!

Ray
Ray, thanks for the additional input. And, I find the points you've made to be pretty consistent with my perspective on things. Too many buyers jump on things because they look at things as they are "in their mind" and they're not actually looking at what's literally, physically in front of them. I've been buying and selling cars for years and I have a fair amount of experience at it, but I've still had my issues. LOL!! I'm going to try and convince the owner to reassemble the car into driving condition. Even at that, I don't think the car will bring what he is hoping to see out of it. But, if we can resurrect one more old piece of tin, and maybe reassembled it'll spur him to recondition the car and enjoy it, that will be a little success story in its own right!

Classic case: The truck before..."ready for paint", lots of parts, reasonably priced. To get to the truck after, another $4,000.00 in parts and almost $5,000.00 in body and paint work!!

GMC1968PU04.JPGGMC1968-01.jpg

Thanks, again! don

Hi Everyone,

As promised, I wanted to update those of you interested in this Mach I (or, at least the story of the car) following the eBay listing. As you are probably aware, the car did not sell during the recent auction. The bidding hit $7,100.00 at auction's end. However, immediately after the end of the auction I was contacted by two bidders stating they had tried to enter $8,000.00 right at the close. Both of the individuals had been in active contact, asking a lot of questions and expressing a lot of interest in the car.

DSC02991-r.JPG

In subsequent conversations I've come to believe I could get a little over $10,000.00 for the car...but, I have been unable to get the owner to entertain selling the car for between $10,000.00 and $12,000.00 as the car sits!

So, that's where we are, at this point in time. I wanted to say, again, thanks a lot for all the input.

I think could bring between 10-12k but not immediately, the right buyer would have to come along...and the car would need to be reassembled & drivable.

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if this thread should have remained on the "Introduction" page as long as it has, but I really wanted to say thanks for everyone's information, assistance, and input. You have all (mostly all) been very supportive and I've learned a great deal about the passion of the 1971 - 1973 Mustang Owners.

Here's where we are right now...I've received an offer on this Mach I for $10,500.00, if the owner will 1) accept this offer and 2) reassemble the car into running/driving condition. Not sure if the current owner is going to accept the offer, but I feel like I've done my job.

As I've told a couple of the 7173mustangs.com members, I've been fortunate to buy and sell quite a number of cars, trucks, and miscellaneous vehicles in the 47 years since I bought my first car! I've also sold a lot of vehicles for friends and acquaintances, and I've been reasonably well paid for my efforts. I'm sorry if some of you (well, one of you) do not share my enthusiasm and belief in what I do and what I'm capable of. You seem to be a little skeptical of my efforts. It's unfortunate when one person comes across in a negative manner, but I'm simply not going to let that keep me from doing what I love!

Thanks again, to everyone who provided sound advice, information, and guidance in this endeavor.

v/r,

don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back