New here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadittyf

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach1 building a custom/street car out of it plans are 69 fastback quarter panels, TCI G-link, reverse valve body c6, and a 521 on e85
Well I'm Shane from Saint Louis mo I have a 1973 Mach 1 my plans for it is a custom street car with 69 fast back quarter panels a 521 on e85 with a d-1 pro charger at some point with a built c6 with the fat man customs tubular k member and coilovers with the TCi g-link in the rear with coilovers out back as well if anyone has suggestions I will appreciate them also if I can't find a good 460 core by the end of February I will be going ether 5.4 lightning swap or 4.6 terminator swap thanks guys and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this page and I hope I can help some people out with there questions they may have

Welcome from West Virginia! Interesting idea.

Welcome from North Carolina. I would go with the 5.4 or 4.6 you can get way more HP than the 460 will give with great gas mileage and very dependable. They are a tall fat engine for sure I dropped a 4.6 out of a highway patrol car in a 1950 Ford business coupe but have never got finished. Fatman 2" drop spindles and dropped Maverick rear.

We like pictures so post during build.

David

Ambitious project. Look forward to seeing what you can accomplish. A blown 521 would put out a lot more power than the chassis or rear end set up you are proposing could ever handle effectively. You'll need to really think through your plans carefully to make it work right.

You might want to look at a complete framed chassis such as Art Morrison sells or something along those lines if you are going to build the car to that level.

The problem I think I'd run into with a 4.6-5.4 is the deck highly I'd like to keep a factory hood on it

Also the width of the heads coming into contact with the shock towers

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from North Carolina. I would go with the 5.4 or 4.6 you can get way more HP than the 460 will give with great gas mileage and very dependable. They are a tall fat engine for sure I dropped a 4.6 out of a highway patrol car in a 1950 Ford business coupe but have never got finished. Fatman 2" drop spindles and dropped Maverick rear.

David
I dont know anything about a 4.6 or 5.4, but can they really make more hp than a 460 based engine? 460s can be stroked to massive cubic inches and support huge hp.

Like i said i know nothing about the 4 6 or 5.4. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

David
I dont know anything about a 4.6 or 5.4, but can they really make more hp than a 460 based engine? 460s can be stroked to massive cubic inches and support huge hp.

Like i said i know nothing about the 4 6 or 5.4. Just curious.
When Ford stepped back into the road racing world everyone said the 4.6 was too heavy and that the car did not have enough brakes. They went out and beat the BMW's, Mercedes and all the American vehicles in the first race. They kept throwing weight on the mustang to slow it down I think they threw 200 more pounds of weight on them so the others would be able to compete. Things like forged powdered metal rods and 4 valves per cylinder, variable cam timing just are worlds ahead of just cubic inches. The OHC is also a big advantage.

I think when I measured engines the 4.6 I put in the 1950 ford was a little more narrow than a Boss 429. It fit in the 1950 Ford and still had the stock inner fenders. Biggest issue was getting the engine back far enough. You should have the second spark plug about where the centerline of the front wheel is to get the weight right. That ment firewall had to move.

I would think a 71 - 73 would have plenty of room.

David

welcome from a newbie also.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINA BOY HERE....

Back