New member eager to learn from this forum!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Good shape(20-footer). Solid chassis, overall good body. Rebuilt C6 and rebuilt transplanted ‘71 351C, 4V heads, 4bbl.
Just a brief introduction. I'm Joe Radich and recently retired after 35-years from a pretty cool gig at NASA . About the 73 Grande that I reached out to all of you for help with vinyl top trim, it's still a work in progress and while I painted the car with the vinyl top off, I’m probably a few days away from finishing installation of a new top (only two small bubbles so far--I consider that a victory for a first time attempt.) Always wanted a true 4V head motor so I found one that a professional mechanic had rebuilt that is from a 71 351C. If my Marti report is correct I have a 2.75 open rear end. Since I have a rear pinion seal leak, I might as well change the rear gear and after reading some of the threads I think I’ll go somewhere around 3.50 (I will let the pros do the work on this). I have new door panels to install but I’m waiting till I finish up the vinyl top and replacing some of the glass before I put those in. Overall if I had to grade the car especially after looking at some of the beautiful vehicles that I’ve seen on this forum, I’d probably listed as a solid B or B+. All of the suspension has been redone and I went with headers, x-pipe, and I’m putting on two Flowmaster super 50s to replace the Flowmaster HP2s…. Too much interior drone—yeah, I’m a wimp! I hope that wasn’t too much information. I don’t think I have anywhere near the attention to detail the many on this forum have, but it’ll be nice to get back on the road and just enjoy a nice drive in the country. Maybe sprinkled with some rear wheel chirps from the C6 with shift kit. Simple stuff…like I said, just retired!

Thanks for listening!

-J
P.s. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the folks that chimed in already about the trim piece that I was looking for!

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
Welcome and Howdy from Texas! You've re-entered the Mustang atmosphere at the right place for all the support and camaraderie. Congrats on building a Mustang the way you want it. BTW, it looks like Christmas in your garage! 😄

Good point…that was actually at our home in MD before we moved to FL. I think we actually left those Christmas heirlooms on the windows.
And Guten tag to our colleague from Germany that also replied!
-J

Howdy from Phoenix! Loved the details! I also sport a 351C with CC 4V heads. I run a 3.5 gear. Great for around town but if you do a lot of freeway crusing you might find it is a bit high in the RPM range. I went ahead and added a gear vendors overdrive to tone it down and bit and love it. Before that I was running 3.25 and they were a nice compromise gear. Make sure to get some kind of traction aid installed at the same time.

That's a good looking car. I like the color and I love the Grande' with the vinyl top. Looking forward to more pictures.

Thanks Will E.
Are you talking about something like traction lock? Not being smart about differentials, does this just fit in the pumpkin, or do I need to also update the axles?
Thx!
-J

Welcome from Oklahoma. If you don''t want drone consider something other than Flowmaster mufflers. Just this person's opinion. 28 spline axles and a Traction-Lok will survive on the street with "normal" tires. Add sticky tires and aggressive launches, not so much. One guess as to how I know. Chuck

Welcome from NC!

Welcome from Chicago! I love the color of your car. I also am building a 351C 4V CC head engine for my 71 Mach that I am in the middle of restoring. Congratulations on your retirement!

Thanks Will E.
Are you talking about something like traction lock? Not being smart about differentials, does this just fit in the pumpkin, or do I need to also update the axles?
Thx!
-J
It all fits in the pumpkin. Your stock 28 spline axles will be fine.

Just a brief introduction. I'm Joe Radich and recently retired after 35-years from a pretty cool gig at NASA . About the 73 Grande that I reached out to all of you for help with vinyl top trim, it's still a work in progress and while I painted the car with the vinyl top off, I’m probably a few days away from finishing installation of a new top (only two small bubbles so far--I consider that a victory for a first time attempt.) Always wanted a true 4V head motor so I found one that a professional mechanic had rebuilt that is from a 71 351C. If my Marti report is correct I have a 2.75 open rear end. Since I have a rear pinion seal leak, I might as well change the rear gear and after reading some of the threads I think I’ll go somewhere around 3.50 (I will let the pros do the work on this). I have new door panels to install but I’m waiting till I finish up the vinyl top and replacing some of the glass before I put those in. Overall if I had to grade the car especially after looking at some of the beautiful vehicles that I’ve seen on this forum, I’d probably listed as a solid B or B+. All of the suspension has been redone and I went with headers, x-pipe, and I’m putting on two Flowmaster super 50s to replace the Flowmaster HP2s…. Too much interior drone—yeah, I’m a wimp! I hope that wasn’t too much information. I don’t think I have anywhere near the attention to detail the many on this forum have, but it’ll be nice to get back on the road and just enjoy a nice drive in the country. Maybe sprinkled with some rear wheel chirps from the C6 with shift kit. Simple stuff…like I said, just retired!

Thanks for listening!

-J
P.s. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the folks that chimed in already about the trim piece that I was looking for!
If you do all of that it would be a crime not to install a 4R70W trans and msd atomic fuel injection as well. You will have great drivability and with even 3.70 gears still cruise at 2200 rpm at 75 to 80 mph. The trans alone makes the car so much better to drive. Congratulations on retirement bud...enjoy!

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
On my car, it had Flowmaster 40's when I bought it and they droned so bad that the wife didn't even want to ride in it. I chose Flowmaster FlowFX which are WAAAAY better on the drone score. Not saying they're perfect, but I don't mind them at all and the wife now wants to drive the car!!. These are straight flow through and glass packed. I call them "neighborhood friendly", but when I hit the loud pedal, Vrooom! As an alternative, I think Magaflow have a similar more expensive version and worth checking out.
Here's a video of my car with the FX mufflers.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/stanglovers-mach-1-walk-around.35733/

Back