• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Quest: '71 Map Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi, busy accumulating all those hard to find parts before my new baby gets shipped out to Australia. 

This time I'm after a map light assembly which I know is another one of those rare, non-reproduced parts.  So please let me know what you have and/or if you know where to find one. 

I have a window of a few weeks before the car gets shipped.  If I can't find one by then, I'll probably look at adapting a '69-'70 Cougar unit as they look quite similar (with the exception of the slide switch) and seem to be easier to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, busy accumulating all those hard to find parts before my new baby gets shipped out to Australia. 

This time I'm after a map light assembly which I know is another one of those rare, non-reproduced parts.  So please let me know what you have and/or if you know where to find one. 

I have a window of a few weeks before the car gets shipped.  If I can't find one by then, I'll probably look at adapting a '69-'70 Cougar unit as they look quite similar (with the exception of the slide switch) and seem to be easier to find.
Hi Brian,

Is this for keeping the car for a while(hobby) or just to make money by a quick car flip?

I have this one for spare but I sell it only complete like showing in the picture...

A Cougar maplight = different shape and dimensions.

IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

Is this for keeping the car for a while(hobby) or just to make money by a quick car flip?

I have this one for spare but I sell it only complete like showing in the picture...

Hi Eddy, I've not yet decided whether this car will be a long term keeper - I will have to wait until I see it in the flesh and decide how much time and expense there would be to get it how I want it.  If it turns out I don't keep it, I would remove the map light before selling the car and store it away for the next one.  That said, I think the whole wiring assembly you have would be a little bit much for me.

I am intrigued by your comment that Cougar map lights are different in shape and dimensions.  Here is a zoomed crop of your map light:

https://image.ibb.co/drhzsR/Zoomed.jpg[/img]

and this is a 1969-70 Cougar Eliminator map light:

https://image.ibb.co/ngPZRm/1970_Eliminator_top_small.jpg[/img]

To me they look quite similar apart from the location of the switch, are you saying the Mustang one is longer and/or wider?

Hi Eddy, I've not yet decided whether this car will be a long term keeper - I will have to wait until I see it in the flesh and decide how much time and expense there would be to get it how I want it.  If it turns out I don't keep it, I would remove the map light before selling the car and store it away for the next one.  That said, I think the whole wiring assembly you have would be a little bit much for me.

I am intrigued by your comment that Cougar map lights are different in shape and dimensions.  Here is a zoomed crop of your map light:

https://image.ibb.co/drhzsR/Zoomed.jpg[/img]

and this is a 1969-70 Cougar Eliminator map light:

https://image.ibb.co/ngPZRm/1970_Eliminator_top_small.jpg[/img]

To me they look quite similar apart from the location of the switch, are you saying the Mustang one is longer and/or wider?

You can also going for the 3D printing available here on this site : 

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-center-console-map-light--28072?

highlight=Map+light

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-center-console-map-light-clone-with-led?highlight=map+light

ok its been a while and lots of parts are still in bags and boxes, is a map light standard or an option? I cant ever recall having one.

ok its been a while and lots of parts are still in bags and boxes, is a map light standard or an option? I cant ever recall having one.
It was an option - part of the convenience package I believe.

Thinking about the hard work that's already been done to get the housing modeled up for a 3D printer - would love to have access to that then I could do one myself.  Failing that, if I could get precise measurements it should be possible to knock something up.

OK, looks like a used original part is going to be well outside my budget.

Still interested in following up whether I could modify a 69-70 Cougar part to fit, so if anyone could let me know the dimensions of an original Mustang map light housing I'll have a better idea if it's going to be possible.

Thanks in advance!

@bac,

Unless you want perse the plastic original stuff. The light front panel is flat. Making it out of a 2mm thick aluminum piece, a small piece of plexiglass

and add a nice button should not be difficult. With an ounce of handyness, chances are high it would look even better than the original.

I'm sure it will look better than the cougar version seen above.

If i would do it, I wouldn't try mod the cougar one, the visible screws for the diffuse plastic ruin the looks. It would be much nicer to glue/sandwich it from behind

and that the screws of the unit on the sides, become the holder of the front panel, and that the part behind would have own screws to hold the unit to the dash.

Making a reflector/light holder, can be done by just folding thin metal, cut in a cross shape.

You could paint black the front panel or just polish it... The grandé's with no options, had a cover with the script on it, so it would not be out of style.

if you want similar contact as the original its easy to find replacements. (always on/off/interior)

like this one https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/schuifschakelaar-voor-inbouwtoepassingen-met-6-soldeerpunten-2x-um-max-250v

Nice alternative round btns are easy to be find too, like this one (way too big in this case) https://www.rdae.nl/pbs0210-drukknop-20-mm.html

The plus for round btns being to have less work on the front panel, and the round shape still fits into the interior design.

All with all, a nice sunday afternoon project!

I have 1 spare of these map lights, so if you need good measurements + more close up picts, let me know...

Just catching up on some of the posts I missed. I think the map light is part of the convenience group. The seat back release, under dash lights, maybe brake light and the map light. I do have couple I would part with what are you looking to spend? So if your wiring harness does not support the Convenience Group you will have to figure out how to wire it.

David

What are the mode of operation for these ?

Mine lights :

1. When either door is open.

2. Doors closed and flip switch.

I could have sworn that there was a way so that you could turn it off when the door was open. Basically to save the battery.

I don't really care about this anymore because I put in a LED replacement bulb (which I highly recommend this, nice white & bright with no real heat to discolor the lens)

I do have couple I would part with what are you looking to spend? So if your wiring harness does not support the Convenience Group you will have to figure out how to wire it.
Thanks for the offer but prices of these seem to have moved beyond what I'm willing to spend.  I'd seen a couple sell for less than $50 a year ago but now they go for more than $100. 

The wiring diagrams suggest that all cars support the map light but even if that's not correct it won't be too hard to figure out.

Mine lights :

I could have sworn that there was a way so that you could turn it off when the door was open. Basically to save the battery.
My understanding is they are a 3 mode switch:  off, on when door is open, on continuously.

Mine lights :

My understanding is they are a 3 mode switch:  off, on when door is open, on continuously.
So it appears that mine is not wired correctly because I do not have an "off" mode with the door open. The switch only seems to toggle  to 2 positions., so it must be something internal that allows this to happen. If anyone has a wire diagram for this, or some details/pictures of the wiring on the back of the switch I might be able to figure out what is wrong.

I'm pretty sure that my car did not have it and I wired it myself (been a long time ago) so it is very likely that I didn't do this correctly.

there's no off position for the lite

Back