• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Quest: '71 Map Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's no off position for the lite

My '71 Grandé with convenience group has a map light with three postion switch...

The three position switch is off, on or on when you open a door.
This guy's experience suggests otherwise.

Maybe there were two versions of the map light: one with a 3 position switch with on/off/door settings and the other a 2 position with just on/door?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one in both my cars plus one extra, all three have 3 states just like @goodnigh
Does the switch have only 2 positions ?  If so, it must be wired like a 3-way house switch.

Can someone post a closeup picture of the back side of the switch showing how the wires are configured ?

upload image from mobile

They go for 100 these days?? That's nuts for what they are really.
The supply/demand equation can create silly prices for things sometimes.  I was quoted $150 - $200 for one from a dealer.

If they ever come out with a repro part, watch those prices get cut in half...

Does the switch have only 2 positions ?  If so, it must be wired like a 3-way house switch.

Can someone post a closeup picture of the back side of the switch showing how the wires are configured ?
From the wiring diagram excerpt below, it looks very much like a two position switch with just 'on' and 'door' settings.

Got one in both my cars plus one extra, all three have 3 states just like @goodnigh

upload image from mobile
Here some pics. from the backside, just a 2 position switch at front.

2018-02-04 12.04.54.jpg

2018-02-04 12.06.11.jpg

2018-02-04 12.07.15.jpg

2018-02-04 12.05.34.jpg

@Brian, of course, but in this case its so easy to make one that looks and do the same or better for just a few bucks and a bit of time. These figures simply do not compute in my 'do-it-yourself' minded brain. The plastic quality is poor, design can't be more basic/practical.

For the diagram, its two lines. From what I see on my spare one, its the switch plastic plate that glides in beetween flat connections that either connect to one of the two or breaks. Will go in the bellow zero garage test positions in a few...

On my 73, that's how things go:

Note that this "high quality" switch is all but precise. On the spare one I feel the 3 states, while on the 73, the middle one is kinda vague.

So its easy to think there is just 2 states. Its always set with door switch on mine, and last time I moved it was prolly in the 80's, so I needed do it a few times before something changed. Prolly some light corrosion on connections. After few on/off all was fine again.

Also I have added a dimmer, so all interior lights + this map light dim out when door is closed after few secs.

In case you wonder how to add one, its simply inserting the small device on the positive of the door switch. No change to circuit.

Its a small detail, but hey its a Grandé :)

also I've noticed my spare light connections are slightly different from the picts posted. So here it is.

Also I have added a dimmer, so all interior lights + this map light dim out when door is closed after few secs.

In case you wonder how to add one, its simply inserting the small device on the positive of the door switch. No change to circuit.
Can you provide a link to this. I love this feature on my late model car and like to add it to my stang.

Thanks to everyone for the conversation and pictures. :bravo:

Back