New to Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After I washed the car and while it was still wet and shiny I thought: "ya know, this thing might buff out with a little rubbing compound...I think I'll try a little area and see what turns up." A glimmer of shiny red poked through and was enough motivation to keep going. So the driver's side is done. Still have the roof, the rear, and passenger door & quarter.

After the rubbing compound I'll progress up to polishing compound and see how shiny it'll get. :D

Ok, I'm still new to the 71-73 cars and still new to Mach 1's in particular. I've learned a lot, actually a heck of a lot from you guys on here...a bunch of great guys that make up a great forum.

I wasn't actively looking for my 71 when my former sis-in-law emailed me asking if I wanted to buy it but I've always loved these cars so I bought my first Mach 1.

Well, I just bought a 72 & a 73 Mach 1 that I also wasn't looking for that kind of just fell into place for me to buy. I'll post more about them (and some pics) after I return home from my trip to TN.

One Mach 1 restoration is fun so 3 Machs should be 3 times the fun, right?

Ok, I'm still new to the 71-73 cars and still new to Mach 1's in particular. I've learned a lot, actually a heck of a lot from you guys on here...a bunch of great guys that make up a great forum.

I wasn't actively looking for my 71 when my former sis-in-law emailed me asking if I wanted to buy it but I've always loved these cars so I bought my first Mach 1.

Well, I just bought a 72 & a 73 Mach 1 that I also wasn't looking for that kind of just fell into place for me to buy. I'll post more about them (and some pics) after I return home from my trip to TN.

One Mach 1 restoration is fun so 3 Machs should be 3 times the fun, right?
Whoa!! You know we are going to need pics and stories, right:exclamation: If you go to restoring 3 at once, I'm going to feel awfully inadequate;)

LOL! I can't afford to do 3 at once my friend. But I do plan to do them 3 in a row or maybe do the any same repair that each car may need on one car then another. Keep the rhythm going. The goal is to get the 71 & 72 road worthy first.

I'm going to order the Marti reports for the 2 new ones also. Here's the Cliff Notes version:

All three are similar cars, all Mach 1's, all are H code 351-2V, standard interiors, all have PS and factory disc brakes. All have 2.75 open rears.

71: Wimbledon white/ Ginger, FMX, factory tach, console. Have Marti report. Was wrecked & repaired early on in it's life. Needs some rust repairs. Cowls are shot. This car is mostly complete, not much to buy unless I want to replace parts with better parts. Does need a hood and rust repair. Has an 8" rear.

72: Grabber Blue/ Blue interior, FMX, 9", idiot lights. Cowls appear to be good. This one is in the best condition with no rust that I saw. Does need floorboards though, leak appears to come from the drip rail. It has as a 71 Cougar 351C-2v engine & trans w/ 70k miles. I'll need to buy a few things to make it complete. Good title & matching VINs.

73: Dark Green Metallic/ Avacado interior, C6 trans, 9" rear, idiot lights, factory A/C. Good cowls, good factory floorboards. Trunk floor needs to be replaced. Some body rust over rear fender wells. It needs an engine. I'll need to buy a few more things to make this one complete. Good title & matching VINs.

The story of how I got these 2 cars is pretty fun. My 2 youngest boys have all gone Mach 1 crazy since I bought the 71 in Feb. So this week we took a family vacation and in the nearby area is where these two cars were for sale. I knew this before we left and started looking at pics of them. Skip to the end of the story...My 2 younger boys (ages 11 & 6) love their new cars! The one is now known as Andrew's 72 in Grabber Blue and Liam's 73 has an undetermined final color at this point. These are both going to be father & son's projects over the next few years before they start driving.

We are all stoked. I'm a little jealous that the both the boy's cars are in better shape than my 71 - especially the 72. That one is an excellent candidate for making a #1 condition car.

That would be great!...but then we'd have to appear in their advertisements. I dont think Ford likes the 71-73s too much though...too much Chevy influence was at the company those years and it showed up in our cars.

My father-in-law likes to joke that all I need is one from the 80s and I'll have one from every decade. I'd take a 85 GT; last year for the carb & first year for a roller cam/block.

When I was younger I always thought it would be cool to have a 65 in a coupe, convertible, and fastback. I think it's pretty cool to have a 71, 72, and a 73. I'm sure the home owner association won't like me having all these cars when I get them all home. It's also cool that several of my neighbors waved the day I was buffing out the 71 in the driveway. :)

So I reread my New to Mach 1 story and am amazed at the mental progress I've made in really learning about these cars. I'm even more amazed at my signature that shows that I now own 6 of the 71-73 Mach 1s. In 4 months gone from zero to six!!!...That's crazy! Basically I'm thinking I'm now nuts for buying all these cars but at the same time I'm surrounded by a great bunch of guys that are probably snickering with me about it. ;)

Thanks! Everyone's excited but my wife. She's ok with it but wonders about having so many cars. 3 of the 6 are home and slowly the others are finding their way. Tomorrow the yellow 73 H code will be behind me on the trailer for the pilgrimage. :)

Mid July the blue 72 will hopefully make the journey.

I know...pics!

Wait till you tell your wife you have to make space in the dinning room for one since the HOA is after you!
Mike, I'm seriously looking at options for covered storage in the back yard...barn, pole barn, 2 car garage, large storage shed, lean to, etc. I need an inexpensive structure that won't tick off the HOA and is visually invisible. We are allowed 1 shed before having to submit plans to the architectural committee. However, our HOA hasn't enforced too much lately except for everyone keeping their grass cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back