NICE 72 convertible Sprint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH ...stay tuned... you MAY get to watch a story...just not from me. Hey all I have to say is I made a clean deal and my money is green! I can sleep at night with my side of the deal. But I am curious about this whole "karma" thing. I personally dont believe in karma because it "appears" not to be Christian (sue me) based. However I respect how others deal with the whatever.

But here are a few WEIRD things over the years that have happened around me.

One guy ..."I hope you die in a plane crash" ....later he died in a plane crash

another ...."I hope you get hit by a dump truck" ....later he ran into a dump truck, didnt die but was bed ridden for years

another... "I hope you get caught and go to jail" ...later he went to jail for YEARS on cocaine charges...:blush: well I DID kinda HELP with that one.

there are others but it seems kinda strange to bring them up because its JUST WEIRD how the actions against me have affected the person attacking me.

I just hope for the people that said "kiss my azz" well....you get it :D:D:D

that is just wrong!!

As others have stated, the seller should have said "if the current deal falls through its yours".

And as the buyer knowing you were closing the deal, on the car, now that is just wrong also!!!

personally I like to know who it was, but on the other hand, I have no respect for people who do things like that!!

I hope this person knows we will find out who it is, only because they were only 50 and we know the VIN number "2F03F184285" kinda hard to hide.

true THAT my brutha! I assure you they will want to register her. THAT was the first thing I was going to do on Monday when I returned...AFTER of course giving it a nice bath and wax. I'm eating 360 bucks too so I will keep an eye on the activity because I plan to be BANNED for what I'm going to do :D Like attention? plan on seeing BOTH of your names up in lights!

Plus IMO we were all cheated because it would of been fun to watch the story of your new toy unfold and see the progress with your restoration.

Agreed that this would have been a nice build to watch. As long as I've been around Fords I've only seen 3 Sprint cars in person and they were all at the same shop where I was stationed in Ga. A package "B" fastback, package "A" coupe, and a Maverick! Never saw the Pinto. LOL I know we always talk about low production numbers and of course the 1806 Boss 351's, and the 66 "Q" code 71's come to mind. Though Ford technically did not build the 4 66 Gt350 Shelby verts (verified by SAAC but never offered to the public-just Shelby's buddies) that ranks the 50 Sprint verts as lowest number of cars built and offered to us commoners.

Maybe some of us that are MCA members, or read Hemmings Motor News or other sources that have classifieds can keep our eyes open for future Sprint listings before you get banned.:)

I'm just catching up on some forum reading. Wow, just wow. This ticks me off that one (two) of our members did this. Shame on them!

I feel sorry for you, Dana.

That really sucks.

Definitely the sellers fault but also a very poor move from the buyer.

Sorry, guys, no respect there. This is a community, I'd expect more respect to our fellow members.

Sorry to hear about this, I know you had your heart set on it. Luckily (I know it doesn't feel that way) for every deal out there there are 10 better one's right around the corner.

All I can say...is good luck to the arse-hole attempting to restore this car without the resources of the 7173 club behind him. Is there anyway to lock them out from even viewing?

It would be interesting to hear the seller's version of this story...

All I can say...is good luck to the arse-hole attempting to restore this car without the resources of the 7173 club behind him. Is there anyway to lock them out from even viewing?
As infuriating as the story is, and I know it's a very small thing when you look at the big picture, I want to thank Dan for continuing to take the high-road in not specifically calling out anybody in particular. I know this has been a very bad experience for him and he's lost a potentially cool car and a lot of money as a result, but his discretion has been appreciated. ::thumb::

As for hearing "the other side of the story," I think as always, "silence speaks volumes," and almost always indicates guilt to be speculated. It is what it is - a deal gone bad, and unfortunately a friend got screwed.

If the seller and/or buyer show up as members seeking anything (advice, information, etc.), treat them how you see fit - but please, keep it clean in the public areas... that's all we ask.

I feel sorry for you, Dana.

That really sucks.

Definitely the sellers fault but also a very poor move from the buyer.

Sorry, guys, no respect there. This is a community, I'd expect more respect to our fellow members.
dont feel sorry me I'm not a slime, so I'm good. I'm a big boy and have seen situations before.

So I thought for fun I'd post something but it would appear to be a threat of course. They are not worthy of the 360.00 investment i lost yesterday.

It would be interesting to hear the seller's version of this story...

out of respect for the MODS I'll keep this clean. READ all the content.. you've read how the agreement was made! Pretty close word for WORD. IN FACT he even repeated what I said back to me as I ask him what he remembered. So really if you will for the other guy out of some attempt to put somebody down...eg: ME, I could care less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dana last time we talked I thought the deal was done,sucks how you got shafted by members. Maybe the next deal will be solid.
As I stated before, I was familiar with the owners wife of the car. I spoke to her brother one time since I was told he was handling the sale. I did not broker anything and had nothing to gain from this. I told all members about the car, gave an opinion about the cars condition and value and provided the sellers contact information. I had no part in what happened after that other than to direct any interested person to the seller if they were interested. When greed enters the picture, this can happen in situations like this.

My take on this...

I have no idea of the timeline of when who called whom. This is my speculation as best I can tell/remember. It appears to me that the car was for sale for several months (Aug'14-May'15) where Rex had provided the seller's phone number for whomever to call about the car. At some point either before, at the same time, or after providing the number gave additional photos that he received from the owner that were several years old. At some point Rex said he suggested a target value or a range of values to the owner as to what the car may be worth. Rex has been in contact with this owner for several years, as he as done with many of the 50 Sprint vert owners in keeping tabs on these car's whereabouts for the past 30 years.

Dan called the owner and struck what I thought was a very solid deal with all bases covered as to when, what, how, etc. and the owner reportedly said no need to send a deposit, that it s a done deal. Dan published all those details on here.

The next details are foggy as to if Rex played a continued role or not.

...I had no part in what happened after that other than to direct any interested person to the seller if they were interested. ...
Like the game Clue it could have played out several different ways. At any rate the owner was subsequently approached by another forum member and offered more money that was in the value range that Rex had mentioned to the seller at some point. Despite Rex's ongoing "friendship" with the seller, I like to believe that Rex had no further contact with the seller but that the seller had it in their mind all along that the car was worth $6000. I have no idea how that went down or if the seller threw Rex under the bus in trying to save face with Dan. I see how that could easily have been what happened. Again, this is speculation. I would like to disclose that I've had a transaction with Rex a few years ago where he was fantastic to deal with. I am also friends with Dan and have no reason to doubt what he says either. Whether or not Rex pointed the new buyer to the seller after Dan's deal is unknown to me.

The seller's role is pretty clear in that a firm deal was made with Dan. Another buyer approached and offered more money. The seller said "ok" for a $1500 gain without giving thought or care to the deal he had previously agreed to with Dan. My opinion is that the seller's word is not worth much if he sold out for $1500.

I know who the buyer is. He is a member on here. I've not met him. I see his role as either:

1. Completely clueless as to Dan's deal (not believable since Dan made numerous posts about the deal)

or

2. Read about Dan's deal but ignored it then called the seller hoping to score

So where do we go from here? None of this requires an official action from the forum because we do not broker deals or negotiate any transactions. Further, no forum rules were broken. However...

To the Buyer: What I would like to see is for you to send Dan a check to cover the expense he's out for the plane ticket. As BT says, Do the Right Thing which will begin the recovery and damage control of an error that has caused a very public riff on our friendly forum. Doing so will certainly allow you to enjoy the car more and regain credibility with the other forum members.

Cheers

Thanks Don Stang.

I looked back at my old emails and forgot about this one back in SEPTEMBER. So for the record, the person had been in touch with me that may end up buying the car. Did I contact the seller? NO. Did he contact the seller - ask him - I don't know. Did I broker any kind of deal? NO. Did I tell anyone that contacted me about the car regardless of whether it was six months ago or six hours ago my answer been the same - YOU contact the seller. I am not and do not want to be the middle man. As I stated before - the seller called me

Hey Rex, I am interested in buying this convertible! I have been keeping an eye on the posts about this. If it's for sale around the 5-6k range, I can buy it, if it's over that,you'll have to let me know and I shouldn't have a problem coming up with the extra money. I am very excited about this because if you remember I bought the Sprint Fastback back in June and today I bought a Sprint coupe, 302 automatic. I would love to be able to add the convertible now. If I do buy it, I promise it will stay with me and not be resold. I think you already know I'm in NC and it wouldn't be a problem driving down with a car trailer to pick it up. Thank you so much for your time.

My take on this...
Thanks Don,

So here is what I posted 4/29/15 as an update to my original post last year when I got a call from Joseph. They are ready to sell this 72 sprint convertible in Florida and it can probably be towed away for $6K. Call Joseph Pellegrino @ 631-365-5891 for more info. He is the brother of the lady selling the car.

It goes without saying any member could have called the seller at any time. When I posted the original info about the car last summer I got this note about a month later. "Hey Rex, I am interested in buying this convertible! I have been keeping an eye on the posts about this. If it's for sale around the 5-6k range, I can buy it, if it's over that,you'll have to let me know and I shouldn't have a problem coming up with the extra money."

Here was my reply: I'm going to email the lady tonight and send her the pics I took. I'm pretty sure she is clueless about the poor condition the car is in. Once some people look at it and they pass on it expecting a better condition car she may drop the price. She has not even tried to sell it so I'm not sure how much she will ask. I'll tell her realistically it's not worth a lot because it needs a complete restoration. If she advertises it she will get some interest I'm sure but someone is only going to pay more than $6K if they just have to have a convertible and have the funds to fix it up right. I'll let you know what she says. I have see others pay too much in my opinion but these do not come for sale that often in decent condition.

For the record I did not PM this person back when I got the contact info for Joseph P - I posted it for all to see.

So - you might guess as to who this person is. I did not even remember he sent this note last year when he inquired recently if the car was still for sale. We all know there was a deal in the works but since I am not the one selling the car I told this person to contact Joseph P to hear the answer for himself. I have not had ANY contact with the seller since that late April phone call. It was up to seller to change his mind and back out on the first deal. He should have done the decent thing and said the car was sold - end of story.

These conspiracy theories and personal insults are getting old. As this point I do not know if any money has exchanged hands and maybe the 2nd offer will be rescinded - who knows. As a favor to the all forum members I posted info about this car hoping someone would buy it and restore it instead of letting it rot away. I have spent dozens of hours tracking down and following the owners of these cars over a decade but I am NOT and did NOT intend to be the "middleman" in any deal. If sharing an opinion about a cars value and putting making contact info available makes me a middleman then so be it. As the saying goes - no good deed goes unpunished.

Guys, let's let this one die off and fade away for the sake of the forum. Except that the buyer needs to get in contact with Dan to reimburse him for the plane ticket expenses.

Ok, everyone said what they had on their minds, Dana had a right to be angry and rant about it.

It would be cool from the buyer if he tried to make it right with Dana (ticket).

It has been a lesson to us all not to trust someone´s word of honor and that is a sad thing.

Whatever part Vamach1 may have played in this, it was a good thing to let the forum know that there was this car for sale and check out its condition and post it for potential buyers. The rest is not for us to speculate about.

We don´t want this to escalate and turn into name calling, so this thread is closed as nothing good will come from it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back