No start after the winter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
So, since today seems like a nice day to get the car out since its been sitting for 7 months. I havent checked a lot of possible issues for this problem and right now, just getting ideas to what the issue could be. Its kind of difficult to do work on the car as one person in a dark storage garage so just currently looking for possible causes.

Anyway, I go to start it and I hear a little backfire that was just once and hard to tell if it was carb or exhaust. I'm assuming maybe a stuck lifter from drained oil?? Since I didnt hear it again, is it pumped back to normal??
I continue to crank it and the engine seems like it would catch but it drops back to zero. Carb looked wet so I'm assuming fuel pump is pumping gas.

When I looked as the carb, the choke was fully open. It would seem since its a cold start, that the choke should be closed and open as it warms up. Could a stuck choke plate cause the engine to try to start and then drop to zero?? I would guess that it would be to lean to start, yes?

Thanks for any help/tips etc..

Air, Fuel, Spark. You got air, actuate the throttle to see if your accelerator pump is pumping gas, could be your float bowls dried up and your needles are stuck. Fill your float bowls manually through the vents. When you know you are getting fuel try to start it, if it still doesn't start check your spark.

Open the throttle a little and try to move the choke plate by hand. It may be stuck from just sitting for so long.

Yes, on a cold start the choke plate being open will cause a lean condition which can cause a backfire through the carburetor.

Back