No starting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the +coil getting power from +BAT and -COIL going to the

points either the coil is bad, the points are not opening, the dizzy is not turning

or the condenser is shorted to ground and bad.

Assuming + and - connections are correct on coil!

IMO

Paul
+1

I would check the arm on the points that that runs in the dizzy lobes. I had one break one time and the points weren't opening. Usually you lube the cam when changing points and if this isn't done that arm breaks on the points. Just a thought.

Quick question does anybody know if a magnetic pickup in the distributor cause the coil not to fire?

I Tested the coil and I have voltage to the positive side when cranking but no fire. I think it may be the magnetic pickup in the distributor, does anybody know how to test the pickup to see if its failing and how hard is it to replace?

Summit Distributor

So you no longer have the factory ignition system? Is it aftermarket or Ford Duraspark?
Which one? There is one review that said the pin that holds the gear to the dizzy sheared. Have you checked to see if the rotor is turning while cranking the motor?

What he said.

I had that happen to me once while driving down the road and it was near impossible to figure out what was going on!!!

Pull your spark plugs and look at them, they could be fouled enough not to fire regardless of what voltage you have at the coil. If it a points system? you may have a bad or weak condenser. More information as to what it was running like before may help pinpoint the problem, possible contacts inside of the ignition switch on the steering column. Guessing will only waste time. I had a Ranchero do this to me, drove it every day, one day drove to work, that night, no start, had it towed home and ran through a check list of possible causes and after checking and rechecking everything, pulled the plugs and found them soaked enough to not want to start, replaced the plugs and it fired right up....

The rotor is turning when I crank the motor. Would there be an ignition switch problem if there is power going to the positive side of the coil?

I figured it out had two wires on the negative side of the coil, switched the one wire over and it started right up. Figured it out while looking at photos of the engine before I traded things. Note to self always take good pictures before taking things apart. Thanks for everybody's feedback, I appreciate it!!

Back