nos rear quarter panel value???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree: as much as $1500.

This is my thinking on an expensive NOS piece vs a "value" priced repro piece:

If you are concerned about the strictest orginality and want a concours-correct, 100-point show winner, then you will need the NOS panels.

Of course, the monetary value of having those on the car is supported by every other aspect of the car also having the same quality of parts and orginality.

If the rest of the car is not up to that high standard, and has shoddy or repro parts on it...then what is the point?

To replace both 1/4s with NOS sheetmetal will cost you around $3000 us whatever the instsllstion and prep/paint work is...at least another $1000.

If you use cheap sftermarket panels, you could probably get both sides for $300 or less. The $2700 you saved will more than offset the ectrs expense of having them fitted correctly.

If done correctly, very few will ever be able to tell, unless they are poking around in the trunk.

Remember, its only "original" once. Adding new and expensive NOS sheetmetal and new paint will be nice, but it certainly wont be "original" any more.

If you are concerned about the strictest orginality and want a concours-correct, 100-point show winner, then you will need the NOS panels.

Of course, the monetary value of having those on the car is supported by every other aspect of the car also having the same quality of parts and orginality.

If the rest of the car is not up to that high standard, and has shoddy or repro parts on it...then what is the point?

To replace both 1/4s with NOS sheetmetal will cost you around $3000 us whatever the instsllstion and prep/paint work is...at least another $1000.

If you use cheap sftermarket panels, you could probably get both sides for $300 or less. The $2700 you saved will more than offset the ectrs expense of having them fitted correctly.

If done correctly, very few will ever be able to tell, unless they are poking around in the trunk.

Remember, its only "original" once. Adding new and expensive NOS sheetmetal and new paint will be nice, but it certainly wont be "original" any more.
I'm going to agree mostly except about price..To install a N.O.S. qtr is about 1/4 of the labor vs a repro which is in essence doing a section

I have yet to see any repro otr section done properly for a seamless replacement..Not saying it hasn't been done but in over 25 years of doing body work paint I haven't seen it yet other muscle cars included. The problem is most owners wouldn't pay for the extra work which is why 99.9 of the installs are done with a overlap 2nd is not many techs have the chops to perform a seamless butt welded section on such a large panel so its overlap & let the bondo fly..Which still takes more time than doing a full nos quarter..I always charged more for a doing a qtr section vs full oem panel in my shop & If doing a section I always gave the customer a choice of overlap vs seamless butt weld..Very few chose a seamless repair given it was about 1000.00 more per side.. the 2700 you quoted is cheap for a qtr section overlap 1350.. a side...At that price I wouldn't expect much of a quality job

I'm going to agree mostly except about price..To install a N.O.S. qtr is about 1/4 of the labor vs a repro which is in essence doing a section

I have yet to see any repro otr section done properly for a seamless replacement..Not saying it hasn't been done but in over 25 years of doing body work paint I haven't seen it yet other muscle cars included. The problem is most owners wouldn't pay for the extra work which is why 99.9 of the installs are done with a overlap 2nd is not many techs have the chops to perform a seamless butt welded section on such a large panel so its overlap & let the bondo fly..Which still takes more time than doing a full nos quarter..I always charged more for a doing a qtr section vs full oem panel in my shop & If doing a section I always gave the customer a choice of overlap vs seamless butt weld..Very few chose a seamless repair given it was about 1000.00 more per side
Thanks for the great info. From what I've read in previous posts I thought it sounded like putting on a full panel was easier than a repro panel because of alignment issues etc. Going to check and see if the guy still has the panel and then check my checking account balance if he still has it and I can't afford it I'll pass along the info on the guy who has it.

My repros 1/4s were installed with an overlap ( not by me...i knew i was not skilled enough for that). This was done almost 20 years ago and still looks great. It is absolutely undetectable on the outside to all but the most detailed scrutinization. It is near perfect to me.

I will admit that the lap section is clearly evident inside the trunk...you cant hide that. But it is high up on the inside so it takes some real effort to feel it, let alone actually see it. You certainly cannot see it from just casually looking into the trunk.

I did have it done by a very skilled body man, and I knew it could not turn out well if done incorrectly. He did it fast, pretty quickly and he charged me $600 left in primer, ready to paint.

I have never regretted it so far...

These are the repro half 1/4s installed many years ago. Looks good to me !

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a RH by any chance?

-Kurt
Left hand....sorry.

My repros 1/4s were installed with an overlap ( not by me...i knew i was not skilled enough for that). This was done almost 20 years ago and still looks great. It is absolutely undetectable on the outside to all but the most detailed scrutinization. It is near perfect to me.

I will admit that the lap section is clearly evident inside the trunk...you cant hide that. But it is high up on the inside so it takes some real effort to feel it, let alone actually see it. You certainly cannot see it from just casually looking into the trunk.

I did have it done by a very skilled body man, and I knew it could not turn out well if done incorrectly. He did it fast, pretty quickly and he charged me $600 left in primer, ready to paint.

Beautiful car!

Last edited by a moderator:

He did do a good job ! & Must have been skilled ,Since they have passed the test of time..There are still guys out there who can do it, you just need to find them ! One thing I always did was to hide the seam on the inside..that was always included in my quote..Your one of the lucky few who got a great job at a great price !

My quarters were replaced on my car before I got it. They used the aftermarket and did a horrible overlap inside. Everytime I open my trunk it drives me nuts. The outside isn't too bad but inside is bad. I figure the next time I go to paint my car I will either find NOS just so I have a FULL quarter to work with or if the budget doesn't allow I will get another set of aftermarket and do a butt seam weld. I do all my own fab and welding so I wont have to worry about install costs. I'm not afraid a that large of a butt seam. I have put on bed wheel archs on truck beds throughout the years and I always butt weld all of them. Once your done you cant even tell and all you need is a thin skim of mud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back