NSS and backup wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
The factory switch for the FMX was long gone, he had the wiring sort of on the megashifter... (long story)

So, there are 7 wires. I have a pretty good idea which 2 are NSS and which are backup. However, can someone help confirm what color the two NSS wires are and the backup wires are?

Being a 5spd now, I am not going to hook up NSS, so do I simply wire them together?

If you don't, then you get no power to the starter. The backup wires were the opposite.

There was only the 4 wires on my nss on my fmx.

For what it's worth and for those with aftermarket shifters, I've bought a Dakota Digital GSS-2000.

It is a programmable shift position indicator. Compatible with all trannies and also come with a built in nss with backup light function.

Exactly what I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you have a 73 and the schematic says red/light blue stripe (R-LB) for the NSS switch (2 wires).

Back up light is Black-Pink Stripe and White-purple stripe.

So both of the NSS wires are red/light blue stripe? Sorry, not fully understanding
Yes, when the tranny is in park or neutral the switch makes contact so the starter will work. If you don't have the switch connecting both together completes the circuit. The starter will engage in any gear selection at that point so I highly don't recommend bypassing the switch. You don't want your car starting when the tranny is in gear.

I installed a TKO 5 spd, there is no readily available switch to the clutch pedal like modern cars, and I am not 100% sure I like the TKO way of doing it.
If its a manual then I don't think a NSS switch was used, there was a separate backup light only switch that was used. You could go with the Dakota Digital GSS-2000 as a substitute for the NSS switch if you wanted that safety feature. For a manual tranny I think that it would be ok to splice those 2 wires together. Folks with manuals usually put it in neutral or depress the clutch before starting. See what others have to say about splicing those 2 wires together. I have no experience with Mustang Manual tranny's.

It was an auto, I converted to a manual.

I spliced the two red with light blue stripes together, car runs. Hooked up the white (purple stripe) and black (pink stripe) to the pig tail and plug that came with the kit, no go. The reverse lights didnt work well before so this isnt a huge surprise to me.

The 73 is supposed to have 6 wires in the harness (two for buzzer/light?). BUt this hacked up mess has 7 all taped together. I looked up to where the plugs hook up to the harness at the firewall and I can see the 7th wire which I am pretty sure when I think back the guy had that hooked to the reverse on the megashifter that I removed and of course did not take a pic of the wiring.

Here is a pic of what I mean

7173pic.jpg

It was an auto, I converted to a manual.

I spliced the two red with light blue stripes together, car runs. Hooked up the white (purple stripe) and black (pink stripe) to the pig tail and plug that came with the kit, no go. The reverse lights didnt work well before so this isnt a huge surprise to me.

The 73 is supposed to have 6 wires in the harness (two for buzzer/light?). BUt this hacked up mess has 7 all taped together. I looked up to where the plugs hook up to the harness at the firewall and I can see the 7th wire which I am pretty sure when I think back the guy had that hooked to the reverse on the megashifter that I removed and of course did not take a pic of the wiring.

Here is a pic of what I mean
The other 2 wires were for the seatbelt warning light and buzzer.

Back