OEM a sound isolation in the trunk?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mottled /mŏt′ld/

adjective​

1. Spotted or blotched with different shades or colors.
  2. Marked with spots of different colors; variegated; spotted.
    "mottled wood"
    Similar: variegatedspotted
  3. Colored in patches; spotted.

Did the original 1973 Mustang Mach 1 have sound insulation glued into the trunk over the gray mottled paint, or was the mat “only” standard?
The vinyl trunk mat did not have any insulation from the factory as far as I know. If you are concerned with noise or insulation, you can add sound deadener under the trunk floor. It wouldn't be an issue, unless your car is a concourse numbers match car, and is being judged as such. I believe our cars had insulation under the trunk floor for the fuel tank already. I installed a sound deadener pad under the trunk floor between the floor and the fuel tank. I don't know if it is correct for the car, but I thought it was and your car may already have it. I bought it from NPD I think, and it was listed for that specific purpose so I thought it was correct for the car. Either way, I think it is a good idea to insulate the tank from the body if it isn't already there, I welded in a new trunk floor so I had nothing there at first.

Mach 1 (342).jpg

Back