Oil pan "rail" washers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I don't know for sure what their names are, but I am looking for washers that follow the rail to use to tighten the oil pan of my Cleveland instead of the standard round washer. I think you could distribute the load a lot better by using a "rail" washer of sorts. I seen it for other engines but probably not made for our Clevelands. If not I guess I could use thin steel rectangular bars with 1/4 holes.

So either getting a 1/16 or 3/32 thick, 1/2" wide, strip of steel, then cutting and drilling it to fit in between the holes. Or using rectangular washers (I found some in McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/3695/92516A180). The washers are 1 1/4" long and SS 18-8, which limits how much you can work with them. Or using strips of perforated steel flats. Will get to work!

Might slow your car down, but would something like SBC valve cover clamps work? If you happen to have a ruined pan you could cut the rails and double them up.
1706280775693.png

Last edited:
@Stanglover I agree that 1/8" should be the minimum.
I really don't feel link getting 1/8" thick bar and drilling 20 holes so what I am thinking is of using is the rectangular washers which will give me a 1 1/4" spread. I think that should be good enough for its purpose. For those bolts in the curvy areas I could use perforated bars from the hardware store or just drilled a few holes on solid bars.

@Stanglover I agree that 1/8" should be the minimum.
I really don't feel link getting 1/8" thick bar and drilling 20 holes so what I am thinking is of using is the rectangular washers which will give me a 1 1/4" spread. I think that should be good enough for its purpose. For those bolts in the curvy areas I could use perforated bars from the hardware store or just drilled a few holes on solid bars.
The washers might be a good alternative and save time.

Back