OIl Pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey,

I have an after market chrome oil pan for 351C. The lip on the pan that goes on the gasket to the block is chrome. Does that chrome need to come off or will it seal against the gasket? I am hesitant to grind because it could make the situation worse.

Also my book says to use gasket sealer on the block side of the gasket but no mention on the pan side. I am using Permatex sealer. What do you guys think about that sealant. Its actually an aviation sealer I believe. Any helpful comments?

Thanks

D. Rolls

I have installed hundreds of transmission pans over the years, and never used a sealer. Never had a leaking problem. Just make sure the block surface is clean of all old gasket residue. Tighten bolts in a criss-cross pattern, and DO NOT overtighten the bolts...this WILL make it leak.

Cork gaskets suck...use a good quality neoprene gasket with undersized holes, no sealer and you should be ok.

No need to grind or otherwise remove any chrome. Install as normal - it'll seal just fine. Trust me. :D

542144_433474629996794_1108156464_n.jpg

252362_457333127610944_28584412_n.jpg

I always rough up the chrome surface (had too many to leak on me) and do not use sealer or it will squeeze the gasket out when you tighten it down. Only time I use sealer is in the corner of the 4 piece gaskets like chevy and just a small dab

I suppose a couple passes with a Scotch-Brite pad along the mounting surface wouldn't hurt. It's always good to make sure the mating surfaces are free of foreign matter, burrs, and anything else not 'seal friendly.'

Good advice, CW.

Back