oil pans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
OK, now I'm confused. Is the stock 351c oil pan capable of holding 6 qts of oil? I just read an old thread that said they were all the same capacity, just set up internally different. I have one of the chrome aftermarket "stock" replacement oil pans and it has the pick up tube baffle. It was said if you run a windage tray and 6 qts of oil, that you should run the HV oil pump. Is this correct? I have an HV pump laying around but was going to use the standard volume because I didn't have the deeper pan. But my thoughts are, If I have a windage tray installed, have an HV pump, should I just set it up to run 6 qts, and make use of the HV pump. Anybody else have theirs set up this way? I do plan to drive this car vigorously!!

you do not need a hv pump with a high capacity pan but it "allows" you to use one . . the std pump shold be fine . . oiling probs with these lie in other areas.

of you plan to auto cross or open track race it i would do some oiling mods.

HV pump can actually pump all of your oil up into the heads if you haven't modified anything else. They cost you horsepower and don't necessarily improve oiling.

I would not run 6 quarts in a stock pan-your cranks bobweights will get close to hitting the oil and then foaming it up and then it doesn't flow through the pump. Again, if it is just a bit you lose power, but if it is more, you trash your engine.

Omie- HV oil pumps are for applications where the oil clearances in an engine have been opened up to allow an engine to better survive in a high-rpm, high-load environment such as circle track or drag strip usage. If you have stock-spec clearances you are just wasting power driving the pump...

In my opinion, HV pumps are like a lot of speed parts- they are cool to say that you have, but in most cases not really needed.

So, I guess my point is to be honest with what your end-use of your car/ engine will be. If it's mostly street with an occasional blast through the gears, them stock type parts will likely be fine. I would use the Boss 351 as a reference- the deep factory gearing required Ford to upgrade the oil system over other 4V engines. Copy or take lessons from that application when upgrading your engine....

Six quarts in the standard pan was recommended by Ford back in the day. Use the standard pump and six quarts of oil. Chuck

Yeah, I figured, I just bolted the standard volume pump up today. Got the milodon oil pickup tube today, and it don't hit the windage tray mounting studs! Got the ARP oil pump driveshaft installed as well!! Going great!! Going to degree the cam this weekend!! WOOOHHOOOOO!! Getting there!!

motor progress.jpg

Did that already with a piece of clay, got a stong 3/8" without gasket, so should be just under 1/2" with gasket. Milodon recommends "at least" 1/4" or more! Should be good to go! Also checked for the .090 around oil pump drive shaft, good there too!! Thanks for watching my back, I want to get all this right!!

Back