OK cam guys part 2

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims72

Reaction score
My Car
Original owner of 72 flat back
Been read'n Vissard and Dan Jones. Came up with these number, still a solid cam. LSA:111*, 282*-288*, 238*-242*, .570”-.560”

LC:109*,+2*, IO*32*, IC-70*, EO-77*, EC-31* Do you think this thing will cruse down the freeway at 2g's? Overlap is high, 63*, but the lash factor tames it a little?

I believe you will need to get your duration down into the low 270s and LSA over 112 if you want to cruise at 2,000 rpm. In my opinion that cam won't be happy cruising at less than 2,800 to 3,000. If you want that much cam and want to cruise at that rpm I would suggest you consider a hydraulic roller with Rhodes lifters.

I believe you will need to get your duration down into the low 270s and LSA over 112 if you want to cruise at 2,000 rpm. In my opinion that cam won't be happy cruising at less than 2,800 to 3,000. If you want that much cam and want to cruise at that rpm I would suggest you consider a hydraulic roller with Rhodes lifters.

it's close to a Crower that list's it at 2-6g's level-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the overlap is high at all. The lift is about perfect for moderate performance without needing serious motor mods. Gearwise, you should probably target your cruise RPM's at a little higher level like 2300 rpms is a cruise level that I hit with a similar cam and my 5 speed OD tranny and 3.89 gears and it managed to pull in 5th well enough that I almost never felt the need to downshift on the Interstate. Mileage was pretty reasonable on the road at 17 mpg

My dream set-up is 456/6spd. Probably wouldn't need first gear normal driving, then if that ricer shows up again, well see who's.... I could live with 17mpg though.

A solid cam acts smaller than a hydraulic cam with the same specs. That one would probably be similar to something with .050" numbers in the 230* range. As far as if that will cruise well at 2k, well that depends on the rest of the engine combination especially displacement and compression ratio. In an 8:1 302...no. 10:1 351 it will be fine as it will be in just about any reasonable 460.

A solid cam acts smaller than a hydraulic cam with the same specs. That one would probably be similar to something with .050" numbers in the 230* range. As far as if that will cruise well at 2k, well that depends on the rest of the engine combination especially displacement and compression ratio. In an 8:1 302...no. 10:1 351 it will be fine as it will be in just about any reasonable 460.
That was my thinking also, 10:1 comp. is my goal on this stock stroke Cleveland.

Latest posts

Back