One wire Alternator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you attached that earlier. Our cars use 2 wires to control the light, the "I" and "A+" terminal on the regulator. The instructions are vague with respect to whether there are 2 connections at the "R" terminal on the Alt and if there is only 1 connection and that's why I asked what the readings were earlier as that will affect how things are connected and whether its compatible with our Alt light.

Yeah you attached that earlier. Our cars use 2 wires to control the light, the "I" and "A+" terminal on the regulator. The instructions are vague with respect to whether there are 2 connections at the "R" terminal on the Alt and if there is only 1 connection and that's why I asked what the readings were earlier as that will affect how things are connected and whether its compatible with our Alt light.
Appreciate the info. The directions that I attached are the only ones provided for the alternator. I spoke with a rep. at the alternator manufacturer who seemed knowledgeable .... he said to simply connect the wire that feeds the idiot light to the P1 blade. I have attached a photo. I might call him back next week and see if you should/can connect more than one wire to the P1 blade. My impression was that only one wire is connected. Thanks for the advice. IMG_1093.JPG

Appreciate the info. The directions that I attached are the only ones provided for the alternator. I spoke with a rep. at the alternator manufacturer who seemed knowledgeable .... he said to simply connect the wire that feeds the idiot light to the P1 blade. I have attached a photo. I might call him back next week and see if you should/can connect more than one wire to the P1 blade. My impression was that only one wire is connected. Thanks for the advice.
With that info I would connect the green/red wire to P1 and see if it works and go from there, Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the info. The directions that I attached are the only ones provided for the alternator. I spoke with a rep. at the alternator manufacturer who seemed knowledgeable .... he said to simply connect the wire that feeds the idiot light to the P1 blade. I have attached a photo. I might call him back next week and see if you should/can connect more than one wire to the P1 blade. My impression was that only one wire is connected. Thanks for the advice.
With that info I would connect the green/red wire to P1 and see if it works and go from there, Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Will do ... thanks

Will do ... thanks
Hello,

Today I connected the single wire from the new alternator to the green wire with Red stripe from the car. The Grn/Red wire ends in a large black plug which accepts a single male plug from the original wiring harness from the original alternator. This plug is part of a larger group of wires that is routed under the battery tray and out of sight.(I think towards the front of the car.) At any rate after I made all the connections the alternator idiot light on the dash now comes on when I turn the key on and then goes out once the car is started. I can only assume that it is properly connected now and would illuminate if there was a charging issue.

I have included a couple photos of the plug and wire. I checked the battery voltage before starting after the car had sat for a week and it was app. 12.5, after starting it immediately indicated 14.5. Car seems to be running fine ... if any issues develop I will let you all know. Again thanks for the input.

IMG_1164.JPGIMG_1165.JPG

Back