Opinion on installing interior before paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
So now that the car is running I want to get it drivable.  In order to do that I need to put the interior back in.  I don't want to paint the car right now and when I do I'm going to be doing a color change.  I should be able to paint without getting the interior messed up shouldn't I?  Will have to do the jams and all.

For a proper color change paint job, all windows and moldings need to be removed, along with doors and fender extensions (painted separately), grill, headlights and buckets, and minor things like radio antenna. Not that much more to remove most of the interior.

Chances are, there is going to be some rust around the windshield and rear window, now would be the time to take care of that, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put it back in for now. It would take you only an hour or two to remove door panels, seats & carpet, pillar trims and the quarter trim panels. Send it to the painter with the dash masked off and a junk driver's seat.

Put it back in for now. It would take you only an hour or two to remove door panels, seats & carpet, pillar trims and the quarter trim panels. Send it to the painter with the dash masked off and a junk driver's seat.
+1 ^   easy afternoon job taking it out and the same putting back in..........

I would put it back in and make sure it fits well. Then for sure pull it before paint.

Are you sure you want to change the color? If you don't love the car I would not change the color. Just think it would hurt the value of your rare car.

I would put it back in and make sure it fits well. Then for sure pull it before paint.

Are you sure you want to change the color? If you don't love the car I would not change the color. Just think it would hurt the value of your rare car.
+1

Back