Original engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marti report said my car was finished on January 12 1972, wondering if 71 numbers should match this.

2C1 is the date the block was cast, March 1, 1972

my car was finished on January 12 1972

I would say that is not the original engine since the block was cast 2 months after your car was built.

So I’m re doing my intake gasket and the part number is fel 1228 saying 4v 351 c. Would it still make the car worth money because it’s still the right engine?

RUG-BJ1 is correct for a 72 built after 12/1/71

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/idchart2.htm

So I’m re doing my intake gasket and the part number is fel 1228 saying 4v 351 c. Would it still make the car worth money because it’s still the right engine?
Your car is valuable because it's a 72 Mach equipped with a 351CJ/4speed. It'll only be slightly less valuable (couple hundred $) since it doesn't have the original block, so I wouldn't sweat it. While you have the intake off, check the casting # on the underside of the intake ports. That'll tell you what heads you have. Date codes are in the rocker area.

Craigneed86,  Nice stamping as most are not as legible as that one.  The 2A indicates "2" (1972) production year at "A"  (Atlanta)  assembly. The 254967 is the consecutive serial number of the donor car.  Atlanta was building Gran Torinos, Montegos, and police version Torinos which all had the Q engine as a option. Since these cars were built at more than one location and in far greater numbers than the Mustang, there is a very good chance of a 71-73 Mustang having a Torino sourced replacement engine.

I found these numbers on the back of my block, wondering if this is my date code?

To add to Secluff's comment above, you already have the date code for the engine. Its the 2C1 you found by the block casting number, as explained by Don below. 

D2AE-CA is the casting number, this number was used from 1972 to 1974, also on CobraJet engines. 2C1 is the date the block was cast, March 1, 1972.

So what I understand all 1972 Torino were changed to net Horse power, was wondering what that meant?

I fond the numbers vin specs for a 1972 Torino and finished vin on Hagerty and it pulls up a Torino. 2A38Q254967.2A25Q254967 all of them say Torino thanks for the info

All HP Ratings were Net in 1972.

This should explain it.

"Prior to 1972, test engines were measured using few if any power robbing accessories such as the transmission, differential, water pump, alternator, and power steering. They were often fitted with headers instead of exhaust manifolds, and atmospheric conditions such as temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity were all set at values that would maximize horsepower.

After 1972, an engines power output was quoted as “net horsepower,” and just like “gross horsepower,” it was measured at the crankshaft, so it too does not take into account drivetrain losses. However, it is measured with an air cleaner and an exhaust system installed, as well as belt-driven accessories and emission controls. Naturally, these horsepower ratings were significantly lower than those of the previous year."

https://www.stevelinden.com/blog/questions-and-answers-horsepower

Back