Our deeply re$tored 1973 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
My all time favorite vehicle is our 1969 Shelby GT500
I have been mostly dropping into various Mustang and Shelby forums via my Facebook account. But, clearly I have been missing some additional "action" by not paying enough attention to this special interest site. My apologies for being so neglectful, I seek to become more active in this site. Lynda (wife and Mustang/Shelby Gal) and I have several Mustangs and GT500 Shelbys. Two of them are 73 Mustangs, and both are in truly near-perfect condition. As for a walk-around video, I have one for our 1973 Mach 1, created on its last day of a 13 1/2 month long restoration project (October 2020). The video file is too large to attach to this thread, but it can be seen in the following YouTube link:

The Mach 1 was originally a Saddle Bronze Metallic color, had a 302 2v engine, and a C4 auto tranny. The prior owner replaced the 302 when it had a problem with its timing chain. He dropped in a moderately built street/strip 351W, not a 351C. He also replaced the original 2.79:1 rear axle gear set with a 3.5:1 TractionLok gear set.

After we restored the Mach 1 we replaced the original C4 with a 4 speed Automatic OverDrive (AOD) transmission. Now, when cruising at 60 MPH, the engine is only turning just under 2,000 RPM, instead of spinning at almost 3,000 RPM - making for a really pleasant cruising experience. The 351W engine puts out a a decent 360HP at the crankshaft, which is more than enough to scoot around in a spirited fashion with the 3.5:1 rear axle gears. Plenty fast, although our 1969 and 2020 Shelby GT500s are both faster. No matter, the public streets are too restrictive to really open any of them up for very long anyway.

We did some other upgrade work on the Mach 1, and our 73 Mustang Convertible, as well. Just to make them more comfortable for ourselves. The modifications to both 73 Mustangs include:
  • Added Classic Air Air Conditioning
  • Installed ACP full length center consoles
  • replaced the console ash trays with Power Panels for 12 volt and dual USB outlets
  • Installed DashCams
  • Installed Garmin Drive 52 GPS units with wireless backup cameras
  • Installed LED taillight panels with sequential turn signal flashing
  • Replaced the oem cool fan and radiators with Champion Aluminum Radiators and Dual Electric Fans
  • Fabricated and installed an LED amber status light under the rear hood to let the driver know when the electric fans are on
  • Installed Halogen headlights and a headlight relay circuit
I have created and posted several videos on YouTube for many or the upgrades we did. Plus, I have a set of parts and vendors used for our AOD upgrade. I also have a pretty nice set of manuals form First Generation Mustangs, from which I have built several informational snippets. One that is fairly rare is a collection of 67-72 Mustang/Cougar engine emission control vacuum schematics, which I was not able to attach to this post (file is too large). If anyone is in need of the 67-72 vacuum schematic PDF file just email me your request to [email protected]. No fee, of course. For folks wanting to download any of our larger files I will add your email address to my DropBox.com location so you can down load the file (and others).

The source for most of my PDF file manuals is Forel Publications (very inexpensive) at:
https://www.forelpublishing.com/clickbank/index.html#Top
Both of our 73 Mustangs are a blast to drive, but it is the Mach 1 that gets all the attention. The Convertible, despite being in excellent preserved condition (just over 20,000 original miles), is a bit demure looking when shown next to the 73 Mach 1. It is just the way of the world...

I have been mostly dropping into various Mustang and Shelby forums via my Facebook account. But, clearly I have been missing some additional "action" by not paying enough attention to this special interest site. My apologies for being so neglectful, I seek to become more active in this site. Lynda (wife and Mustang/Shelby Gal) and I have several Mustangs and GT500 Shelbys. Two of them are 73 Mustangs, and both are in truly near-perfect condition. As for a walk-around video, I have one for our 1973 Mach 1, created on its last day of a 13 1/2 month long restoration project (October 2020). The video file is too large to attach to this thread, but it can be seen in the following YouTube link:

The Mach 1 was originally a Saddle Bronze Metallic color, had a 302 2v engine, and a C4 auto tranny. The prior owner replaced the 302 when it had a problem with its timing chain. He dropped in a moderately built street/strip 351W, not a 351C. He also replaced the original 2.79:1 rear axle gear set with a 3.5:1 TractionLok gear set.

After we restored the Mach 1 we replaced the original C4 with a 4 speed Automatic OverDrive (AOD) transmission. Now, when cruising at 60 MPH, the engine is only turning just under 2,000 RPM, instead of spinning at almost 3,000 RPM - making for a really pleasant cruising experience. The 351W engine puts out a a decent 360HP at the crankshaft, which is more than enough to scoot around in a spirited fashion with the 3.5:1 rear axle gears. Plenty fast, although our 1969 and 2020 Shelby GT500s are both faster. No matter, the public streets are too restrictive to really open any of them up for very long anyway.

We did some other upgrade work on the Mach 1, and our 73 Mustang Convertible, as well. Just to make them more comfortable for ourselves. The modifications to both 73 Mustangs include:
  • replaced the console ash trays with Power Panels for 12 volt and dual USB outlets
  • Installed DashCams
  • Replaced the oem cool fan and radiators with Champion Aluminum Radiators and Dual Electric Fans
  • Fabricated and installed an LED amber status light under the rear hood to let the driver know when the electric fans are on
I have created and posted several videos on YouTube for many or the upgrades we did. Plus, I have a set of parts and vendors used for our AOD upgrade. I also have a pretty nice set of manuals form First Generation Mustangs, from which I have built several informational snippets. One that is fairly rare is a collection of 67-72 Mustang/Cougar engine emission control vacuum schematics, which I was not able to attach to this post (file is too large). If anyone is in need of the 67-72 vacuum schematic PDF file just email me your request to [email protected]. No fee, of course. For folks wanting to download any of our larger files I will add your email address to my DropBox.com location so you can down load the file (and others).

The source for most of my PDF file manuals is Forel Publications (very inexpensive) at:
Both of our 73 Mustangs are a blast to drive, but it is the Mach 1 that gets all the attention. The Convertible, despite being in excellent preserved condition (just over 20,000 original miles), is a bit demure looking when shown next to the 73 Mach 1. It is just the way of the world...

Pretty color and some cool aftermarket options. Post a pic of the 73 vert.

And here I thought we owned the only orange 73 Mach 1 lol. Car looks fantastic! Ours was originally red. Was painted orange a long time ago

Here is one of my more favorite photos of the 73 vert, being "driven" by our Wolf/Husky Hybrid, Sami (now deceased).

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 29
I believe I overlooked your request for photos of the 73 Vert. My apologies. Here are some of the vert's pictures, attached. It is a fun car to cut around in despite "only" having a bone stock 302 2v with a C4 auto tranny The Classic Air A/C helps keep it comfortable even on hot days. It was barn stored over 40 years and currently has just a little over 20,000 original miles on it

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3005_FromRightRear.jpg
    IMG_3005_FromRightRear.jpg
    10.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_05_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_05_20200503.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
I believe I overlooked your request for photos of the 73 Vert. My apologies. Here are some of the vert's pictures, attached. It is a fun car to cut around in despite "only" having a bone stock 302 2v with a C4 auto tranny The Classic Air A/C helps keep it comfortable even on hot days. It was barn stored over 40 years and currently has just a little over 20,000 original miles on it
Very nice! You don't see many restorations that keep the factory side bumper strips on. Those usually get tossed in the trash. Thanks for sharing.

And here I thought we owned the only orange 73 Mach 1 lol. Car looks fantastic! Ours was originally red. Was painted orange a long time ago
The Mach 1's paint we selected is PPG Sunset Orange, and PPG Hot Rod Matte for the hood blackout schema and the front spoiler, rear wing, and rear window louver slats. The side stripes are vinyl from Graphic Express. The "351 RAM AIR" Callout characters were created using a stencil (also from Graphic Express) that lets the underlying Sunset Orange color peer through the overlaying blackout schema.

https://graphic-express.com/products/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-boss-351-ram-air-hood-decal-set
The prior color was Valspar Sunset, which is a slight lighter hue than the PPG Sunset Orange used in the recent repainting. The Sunset Orange is a translucent, fine grain metallic shot over a base white. There are no less than 4 coats each of primer, white, color, then clear. Each coat was wet sanded and blocked before a subsequent coat was applied. Very costly, but the finish turned out as close to perfect as can be attained, if not flat our perfect. I sure can't find any flaws in the finish, and I looked (not to complain to the shop, but so I would see them before anyone else).

I would love to see your pony in orange. I will see if I can dig it up with photos "somewhere." We do not see a lot of orange Mustangs from 71 - 73, or even earlier model years for that matter.

Here is one of my more favorite photos of the 73 vert, being "driven" by our Wolf/Husky Hybrid, Sami (now deceased).
Deja Vu all over again. I have a convertible that appears to be a direct match to yours, except for a white top. Same wheels, same front air dam, same gold glow. Speaking of Shelbys, I restored a factory drag pack car ages ago 0F02R482510. My biggest mistake was selling it.

• Installed DashCams

Where did you find the power panels to fit in the ash trays?

• Installed DashCams

Beautiful vehicle and restoration and wanted to ask if the color is Competition Orange or Grabber Orange,i was looking @ a similar color if i ever get to the "Painting" stage of the restoration on my 1972 Mustang hardtop.-I did like the 1969/70 Cougar 390 Eliminator on Muscle car of the week in Competition Orange -Stunning rare Classic and awesome color.-Thanks for posting and giving the rest of the working public hope in restoring our classics one day.-Joe-K.-

Back