Overflow Tank?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q Code Mach 1
Where is the overflow tank located on a 73 Mustang Q Code/4 speed car? I have what looks like an earlier style (67) hanging overflow tank on the front side of the radiator support at the driver's side. Is that original? Any help is appreciated!

Ahh, I was thinking so! I have had a a few 72/73 Mustangs and they had totally different overflow tanks in different areas so I figured something was up. What is the routing of the overflow tube from the radiator neck? And how long should the tubing be? I am going to replace my repro overflow tube w/ concourse correct tube.

Not sure if available from the factory, but there was an overflow tank offered as a Ford Accessory. It's shown in my 73 Ford Accessories Brochure along with such items as the Pony Floor Mats, the Optional Radios, Optional Wheel Covers, Dual Racing Mirrors, etc. I know some of these items were factory options.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has one that matches this style on their car.

Here are a couple of quick pictures I took. I need to scan the whole brochure and post it.

DSCF1675.jpg

DSCF1679.jpg

The one currently on mine is similar to the early 67 style, plastic, hanging, with the spout/hole for the hose built into the cap. I have seen so called NOS 65-73 overflow tank caps that look like the one pictured in that catalog. I want to remove the tank from mine and go w/ factory routing of the overflow tube. If someone has a picture of their factory setup, please post a pic so I can get an idea of how it's set up...THANKS!

Hi 73 GoldGlowMach,

My car is a 73 Q-code 4 speed car and has the wire frame for the overflow (missing the bottle) but it is mounted on the passenger side probably due to the extra rad and parts for air conditioning that has been added at some point in the past. I can post pics of the setup if you would like but I don't think it is very factory legit.

I had a 73 vert w/ a 302 and it had a cage-looking square basket w/ an overflow tank like you describe. I wonder if it was factory? Sure, post a pic, I'm curious...

I had a 73 vert w/ a 302 and it had a cage-looking square basket w/ an overflow tank like you describe. I wonder if it was factory? Sure, post a pic, I'm curious...
Here are the pics but sounds like according to the others it is not factory legit. It doesn't really look it either... As you can see, the hose comes out of the cap mouth and is routed under the rad support to the passenger side. You can see the end of the hose under that wire frame that apparently held an overflow bottle. At least that's what I was told. As indicated earlier, its probably a later add on.

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

No factory overflow tank in 71-3's
So I guess the one in the 1973 Ford Accessory brochure was just available from the Ford Dealers. Still would be cool to find an original one.

Last edited by a moderator:
72 Mach1, that is exactly like the one that was in a 73 vert I had a few years back. It is kinda funny looking, especially with the overflow tube spanning all the way around the front of the radiator support, down and up into the tank. I took what looks to be an original Ford overflow bottle out of my 73 and put it in my 67 as they looked exactly the same.

No factory overflows on the 71-73s.You did not need it.When you fill the radiator to the factory fill level,it iis about one inch below the cap.This gives the fluid enough room to exspand under normal driving conditions.The overflow tube is just vented to the ground down the side of the radiator.

72 Mach1, that is exactly like the one that was in a 73 vert I had a few years back. It is kinda funny looking, especially with the overflow tube spanning all the way around the front of the radiator support, down and up into the tank. I took what looks to be an original Ford overflow bottle out of my 73 and put it in my 67 as they looked exactly the same.
Hmmm... So maybe our converts had dealer installed overflows as Olepony pointed out in the options brochure? I'll have to keep an eye open in the junkyards and swapmeets for something that will fit.

Back