Parking Brake Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
As I continue to hunt down and repair the most pressing problems with my '73 hartdop, I find myself confronted with confusion about my parking brake.

It just goes down to the floor when I push on it, and it won't return when I pull the release. I realize there are probably cable issues down the line, but I want to get the assembly squared away before I start tearing out cables.

Many of the "parts houses" sell what they label as a "parking brake lever return spring". To quote Mustangs Unlimited "Spring attaches to the equalizer lever, which itself attaches the equalizer rod and front parking brake cable".

I guess I'm just confused as to what they're talking about. I was in there yesterday looking at this assembly, and I didn't see any springs anywhere, not on the cable, or the assembly. If anyone has any experience with this and/or pictures I'd be eternally thankful.

Yes, and thank you. Not to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the assembly itself enough to help me figure out where that spring should go, and how I can get it to release back up.

Like I said before the parking brake assembly should push down and release back up with NO cable atatched. If not it is in the assembly.

Thank you very much. That helps somewhat to understand the system. Unfortunately, I think that my problem is inside the assembly for the pedal. I hope I don't have to get a whole replacement assembly.

Not sure if this will help or not but..............

Thank you very much. That helps somewhat to understand the system. Unfortunately, I think that my problem is inside the assembly for the pedal. I hope I don't have to get a whole replacement assembly.

Not sure if this will help or not but..............
Thats not a hard part to find. The good thing is they dont break often so there should be plenty of them. Contact Don at Ohio Mustang

I'd have to go look at one to check but if I remember correctly

If no cable is hooked up the pedal will not come back up

The springs for 71-3's are on the cables.

In my admittedly light experience, I think OMS is right. Looking at Tnfastbk's diagram, and comparing it with a few I saw online, it sure looks like that spring is between the equalizer lever and the equalizer itself. I'll bet my cable is either broken there, or missing the spring from a past disassembly.

I'll update tonight with my findings.

I'd have to go look at one to check but if I remember correctly

If no cable is hooked up the pedal will not come back up

The springs for 71-3's are on the cables.
Mine did:huh:

I think I can somewhat close this one. I looked under the car, and indeed found the spring on the underside, not attached to anything. I really have no idea how this thing is supposed to look when it's correct.

So, at least I now know why I don't have parking brakes!

Here's a close up of how it's supposed to look.

The cable from the parking brake pedal has a threaded rod on the end of it, which goes through the equalizer bracket, which has the cable that runs to both rear brakes looped over it.

I'm guessing the retainer clip that holds the cable/conduit to the attachment bracket is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
After QUITE a bit of research, I've finally figured out what is what.

The right hand rear cable is REALLY long, it goes from that back wheel to the idler attached at the frame in the front and then over to the equalizer coming from the front cable. From there it heads to the left rear wheel where it joins the (much shorter) left rear cable with a connector.

The attached picture shows how the setup looks on the 1970 Mustang (the setup is identical)

I've since ordered the right rear cable (mine is broken) and the idler and connector. Once I replace that one cable, my brakes should work again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back