Passenger Remote Mirror Modification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
As promised I said I would provide photos and a guide on how to modify your passenger mirror so that you can adjust it from the drivers side without having to wreck the car while driving. What I have found is that there are several mirrors that will work for this application. 71-74 Torinos, 74-76 mustangs I think. When you look at them on ebay or other sites and they look like your mirror, they will work.

1) Remove the screws from the donor mirror between the base and the mirror housing, 2 screws.

2) Remove the one screw holding the mirror in the housing.

3) Take the control knob at the end of the cables and depress the knob so that the cables are loosened.

4) Slide the cable out of the control knob on all 3 cables. I marked the location they were removed from as R G S on the knob so that when I put it back together they still were in the same location. The cables are colored Red, Green and Silver. This will loosen the cables so that you can slide the leaded ends out of the control knob.

5) Remove the control knob and slide the cables out of the knob housing. Slide the rubber hose off of the cables and then slide the mirror out of the mirror housing. There is a swivel part in the mirror, do not drop it because you will need it later. Also keep the bolt backing plate for this mirror, you will need it later as well.

6) Keep all of your parts except the housing and the mirror base. Set them aside.

7) Remove the base and the mirror from your mustang sport mirror. One bolt for the mirror and 2 bolts for the base. You will not need the bolt backing plate and keep the mirror as a spare.

8) Drill 2 1/4" holes in the bottom of your mirror between the bolt holes as shown. Do the same with the base plate. Use the drill or a dremel to connect the 2 holes and make a slot connecting the holes. You can use the donor mirror slots as a template if you wish.

9) You can now take the donor mirror with cables and the donor backing plate(I had to bend the plate out a little to get the bolt to line up in the plate) and put the plate on the cable, pitched side up first. Then run the cable down thru the mirror, the base and the hose so that the cables come out the bottom of the hose.

10) Put the cable ends back thru the control knob housing in the color order mentioned earlier. Install the knob on to each of the cable leaded ends.

11) That swivel that was mentioned earlier needs to go back on the back of the mirror at this time, the rounded side in the slot on the back of the mirror stand and the 2 studded ends on the back of the mirror.

12) Back at the control knob, put one cable back in the housing at a time and make sure the swivel stays in place.

13) Back at the mirror, install the bolts thru the base into the mirror and the bolt backing plate. Install the bolt into the mirror and the housing holding the mirror.

14) Using the mirror mounting pad as a template between the 2 screw holes, mark the center of the circle on the passenger door with a pen. Using a 1/2" hole saw, drill a hole thru the center of the circle.

15) Install the mirror onto the car and route the remote cable as you want to where you want to install it. I installed mine on the console below the gear shift on my side of the car. The bezel is the exact same bezel that you have on your drivers side remote so it matches the look. I would suggest using a grommet or a modern grommet hose similar to what they use on new cars to route the remote cable thru the front of the door and into the pillar then behind the dash to wherever you want to mount it.

Here are the photos showing how I did it. If I were to do it again I might find it easier but it took me all day this time. I wished I had done it before I painted the car because now I have touchups to do on the mirror housings and base.

P8310004.JPGP8310017.JPGP8310002.JPGP8310006.JPGP8310009.JPGP8310001.JPGP8310015.JPGP8310008.JPG

P8310012.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really cool. I have (perhaps 'had', I will have to check the attic) a remote passenger mirror that I thought was an exact bolt on replacement. Turns out the base is a little different, not sure if the housing itself is or isn't. I might go for this mod on the next repaint. I might be able to get away with reusing the housing. No idea what it came off of.

In the mean time I just use 'the club'. Of course, the window has to be down....

Mine points down all the time. Fordification, do you have any pictures of where you mounted the control knob and all that?
Not yet. I am going to put it in my console but I have to put the interior carpet back in first. I bought some 3/4" door to seal boots to run it and the speaker wire from the door to the pillar without showing the wires or the remote control cable. Thats going to happen this week as is the cable.

That's really cool. I have (perhaps 'had', I will have to check the attic) a remote passenger mirror that I thought was an exact bolt on replacement. Turns out the base is a little different, not sure if the housing itself is or isn't. I might go for this mod on the next repaint. I might be able to get away with reusing the housing. No idea what it came off of.

In the mean time I just use 'the club'. Of course, the window has to be down....
The base and mirror are different. You will need to use your original housing. That was my thought when I started this idea. You guys need to wait and see what I have planned for my spoiler and no, its not the one you see on the Mach 1.

Mine points down all the time. Fordification, do you have any pictures of where you mounted the control knob and all that?
Yeah, mine too but I do not think we are talking about the same thing here.

Back